Warning: Nvidia 8xxx series not ready for Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: Nvidia 8xxx series not ready for Linux

Just thought I'd give people a heads on the latest Nvidia 8000 series cards. Many a problem with these cards and the new driver you need for them to operate.
    See: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93082

So if your looking for a new card, stay away for now.

and here i was thinking that only ati users have bad luck with linux.

Comment

Thanks! I was about to pull the trigger on a 8800GTS. Guess I'll wait to see when either company gets their act together.

Comment

Thanks!

Good lookin' out, bro. I've had it with ATI, so I was just shopping for an nvidia SLI setup; you've saved me quite a bit of grief, most likely.

Comment

Simple Fix

Hey all, I had problems when I first got this card. I couldn't switch from my desktop to console. So after 3 minutes on goggle I found a Fix. Booting Linux in VGA=Normal fixed everything for me. I don't get the fancy SuSe background in console or the boot splash anymore but I have not had a problem since. This also holds true for these cards in SLI mode also.

Comment

ouch :/

Hello everybody.

Is all that means, that nobody can make an Geforce 8xxx run without trouble under linux ?!

I expected to change my computer this summer, i go for a core2duo, bad news...they are buggy.... with an Geforce 8800 GTX...no luck, they are also buggy with troubles under linux....

Any advice ? Getting a 7950 serie ?

Best.

Comment

Hello everybody.

Is all that means, that nobody can make an Geforce 8xxx run without trouble under linux ?!
              Errr.... I've been running a 8800gtx in Linux (opensuse 10.2) for over 5 months and pair of em' in SLI for 2 months.

For all the doubters....

Single Card:

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w...nt=desktop.png

SLI Mode:

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w...ent=cleft3.png

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w...rent=cleft.png

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w...urrent=pvp.jpg

Comment

<blockquote>
                My Specs:
                Amd FX-60 Socket 939 Possessor
                4 Gigs of CORSAIR XMS DDR-400 Ram
                Twin eVGA 8800GTX 768mb Graphics Cards running SLI
                ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard
                Twin Western Digital Sata Raptors Hard Drives (in Raid 0)
                OpenSuse 10.2 x86_64 - Kernel 2.6.18.2-24
                </blockquote>
                This is about the same setup I have, have you tried it under solaris? If the 8xxx work under solaris with that rig, I'm set!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwing Strikes View Post
                  Errr.... I've been running a 8800gtx in Linux (opensuse 10.2) for over 5 months and pair of em' in SLI for 2 months.

For all the doubters....
                  Hello all, Hello Throwing Strikes, thanks you for the pictures and for your comments.

i expect to buy one 8800gtx soon, i was in doubt. I think i gonna take my luck after all. The Nvidia drivers maybe need to be improved, they do it generally, so...

Anyway, thanks again for your comments.

Best.

Comment

Hello Gazzonyx, I've never played with Solaris before. To get my 8800 working in Linux I had to change a boot setting (VGA=Normal) to get rid of the nasty bugs people are talking about with this card under Linux. So I'm not sure what you would have to change/do to get this card working if anything at all under Solaris.

Comment

Hello,

I just received an ASUS-EN8800 Ultra.
                      After several days of Quake 4/ Unreal 2004 / Blender / and some emulated games. I have no troubles.

Q4/UT2K4 works perfectly, with lots of high options on.
                      All i can say is : perfect ! Hope nvidia drivers will get better and better in soon future.

The card is BIG, you need a big case to insert it in. I had to move up some hards drives to let it fit in my case. 2 pcie (6 points) connectors for power it needed.

Motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI.
                      Debian/Etch : Both 32bit version / AM64 bits version.
                      Kernel : Own build 2.6.22.1

here is some screenshots.

Comment

Nice card you have

I am planning on upgrading my Athlon 64 Venice to a Phenom X4 at christmas and my X1900 XT 512 to a X3*** in 2008.

And you have one unread private message

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

And you have one unread private message
                          Oh yeah ! Ah Ah Ah... you right !

Thanks

Comment

Update

Originally posted by Throwing Strikes View Post
                            Hello Gazzonyx, I've never played with Solaris before. To get my 8800 working in Linux I had to change a boot setting (VGA=Normal) to get rid of the nasty bugs people are talking about with this card under Linux. So I'm not sure what you would have to change/do to get this card working if anything at all under Solaris.
                            I ended up getting a GeForce 8500 GT; the driver update was flawless and it runs fine under Solaris Express Developer edition build 68 - it's probably better under build 69 now that it's out. Sorry it took me a month to get back to this thread, I'm still setting up NFS as I have cash and time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gazzonyx View Post
                              I ended up getting a GeForce 8500 GT; the driver update was flawless and it runs fine under Solaris Express Developer edition build 68 - it's probably better under build 69 now that it's out. Sorry it took me a month to get back to this thread, I'm still setting up NFS as I have cash and time.

Thats good to hear. I need to try Solaris sometime.

I also did some reading and some gut feeling tests. I found the Nv Driver 9755 to be faster on Linux than the 100 series drivers. Like people have been claiming on the NV forums. I don't know if this affects Solaris but I'm sure it would be worth your time to try out the 9755 driver if you haven't done so already or wait/hope that Nvidia will fix this performance regression in the next driver release.

Comment

Working...
                              X