Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon HD 5450 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Open drivers with HD 5450? Seriously? Nice try. Go tell the owners of this card in the Ubuntu forums.
    ??? i write here on 10.04 ubuntu with the opendriver...

    what is your problem ?

    and ubuntu10.10 mesa7.9 brings full openGL2.1 support...

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      ??? i write here on 10.04 ubuntu with the opendriver...

      what is your problem ?

      and ubuntu10.10 mesa7.9 brings full openGL2.1 support...
      They say there's no 3D capability and hardware acceleration doesn't work properly.

      Maybe you could try Google Earth with your card? I have no idea what works or not...just going on hearsay and I was scolded for it already so...

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Panix View Post
        They say there's no 3D capability and hardware acceleration doesn't work properly.

        Maybe you could try Google Earth with your card? I have no idea what works or not...just going on hearsay and I was scolded for it already so...
        on 10.04 you only have 2d.. shadowFB on 10.10 you have full support...

        i still need to upgrade to 10.10 to test this.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Panix View Post
          They say there's no 3D capability and hardware acceleration doesn't work properly.

          Maybe you could try Google Earth with your card? I have no idea what works or not...just going on hearsay and I was scolded for it already so...
          i have now upgrade my system to 10.10 and the 5450 runs!

          Comment


          • #65
            Software rasterizer?

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Software rasterizer?
              uuh??? how to chance that ?

              Comment


              • #67
                I own a laptop with mobility hd 5470 since february. Having evergreen card sucks, royally. Sometimes I think I am dumb sticking to ubuntu on the machine instead going for windows.
                I use my laptop mostly for coding, but I am very often using Blender, where I need hardware acceleration and I like to play Spring engine based games.
                When I bought the machine, there was no driver that would (officially) support the driver, so I had funky "hardware not supported" watermark on my screen, though hardware acceleration was working fine. Then someone came out with a patch removing the watermark.
                In 10.4 drivers, iirc, support for my chipset was finally added, but 2 moths later came the 10.6 version, which made the only game I actually play unplayable (actually both under windows and linux, keep up the good work AMD).
                So to those talking bout progress in fglrx drivers - it is an amazing progress, from drivers not supporting hardware released to not working drivers.
                Of course there was also fun stuff. Like not knowing if system would wake up properly from sleep state. Funky red artifacts on display.
                When I compare my experiences to those of my friend's, who owns a laptop with gt240 card it makes me want to cry.
                Buying a laptop with an ATI card was like shooting myself in a foot, before jumping into a tank full of saltwater... and hungry great white sharks.
                After so joyful experiences I will definitely never again buy an AMD card. I would also advise against it to anyone, who wants to run linux or opengl applications on it.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by faceless View Post
                  I own a laptop with mobility hd 5470 since february. Having evergreen card sucks, royally. Sometimes I think I am dumb sticking to ubuntu on the machine instead going for windows.
                  I use my laptop mostly for coding, but I am very often using Blender, where I need hardware acceleration and I like to play Spring engine based games.
                  When I bought the machine, there was no driver that would (officially) support the driver, so I had funky "hardware not supported" watermark on my screen, though hardware acceleration was working fine. Then someone came out with a patch removing the watermark.
                  In 10.4 drivers, iirc, support for my chipset was finally added, but 2 moths later came the 10.6 version, which made the only game I actually play unplayable (actually both under windows and linux, keep up the good work AMD).
                  So to those talking bout progress in fglrx drivers - it is an amazing progress, from drivers not supporting hardware released to not working drivers.
                  Of course there was also fun stuff. Like not knowing if system would wake up properly from sleep state. Funky red artifacts on display.
                  When I compare my experiences to those of my friend's, who owns a laptop with gt240 card it makes me want to cry.
                  Buying a laptop with an ATI card was like shooting myself in a foot, before jumping into a tank full of saltwater... and hungry great white sharks.
                  After so joyful experiences I will definitely never again buy an AMD card. I would also advise against it to anyone, who wants to run linux or opengl applications on it.
                  and what is going on with the catalyst 10-10 ?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Software rasterizer?
                    i fix that now by installing the catalyst ;-)

                    maybe i test the os 3d driver with xorg-edgers later

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by faceless View Post
                      Sometimes I think I am dumb sticking to ubuntu on the machine instead going for windows.
                      Have you tried other distros? Most complaints seem to come from ubuntu users. I have openSUSE 11.2 and never had a problem with fglrx. Also it seems that laptops tend to be more problematic than desktop systems.

                      Originally posted by faceless View Post
                      In 10.4 drivers, iirc, support for my chipset was finally added, but 2 moths later came the 10.6 version, which made the only game I actually play unplayable (actually both under windows and linux, keep up the good work AMD).
                      This seems easy enough to solve. Stick with the version that works.

                      Originally posted by faceless View Post
                      When I compare my experiences to those of my friend's, who owns a laptop with gt240 card it makes me want to cry.
                      Only if those don't have Optimus since it will probably never be supported in linux as far as nvidia is concerned.

                      Originally posted by faceless View Post
                      After so joyful experiences I will definitely never again buy an AMD card. I would also advise against it to anyone, who wants to run linux or opengl applications on it.
                      Then your only option is using intel graphics since most, if not all, future nvidia equipped laptops will use optimus. In case you don't know intel linux driver is very bad in terms of performance. There is, however, the chance that all those problems are caused by a bad implementation by the laptop manufacturer.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X