Low end card for VDPAU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low end card for VDPAU

I have an old A64 3000+ that chokes at 1080p. I don't play any games so any newer lower end Nvidia card should be ok. But Nvidia released quite a lot of those. All HD content I'm watching is H.264 so I don't need VDPAU feature set C, but deinterlacing may be a deal breaker considering old cpu? Would it make sense to buy GT220 instead of GT210/9400GT just because of 2x deinterlacing?
    Thanks in advance.

The GT220 with active cooling is not that loud when watching a movie but of course a huge difference to a passively cooled card. MSI G210 (there is no GT210) would be passively cooled and maybe a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe View Post
      I have an old A64 3000+ that chokes at 1080p. I don't play any games so any newer lower end Nvidia card should be ok. But Nvidia released quite a lot of those. All HD content I'm watching is H.264 so I don't need VDPAU feature set C, but deinterlacing may be a deal breaker considering old cpu? Would it make sense to buy GT220 instead of GT210/9400GT just because of 2x deinterlacing?
      Thanks in advance.
      I guess it depends on how much interlaced material you watch. For me personally I find a hard time even finding interlaced material nowdays. Even my Abbott and Costello movies are progressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        The GT220 with active cooling is not that loud when watching a movie but of course a huge difference to a passively cooled card. MSI G210 (there is no GT210) would be passively cooled and maybe a better choice.
        MSI G210 looks good. I guess I could replace GT220 cooler, but even cheap Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Pro would make it almost twice as expensive as G210. Sorry about GT210 brain fart.
        Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        I guess it depends on how much interlaced material you watch. For me personally I find a hard time even finding interlaced material nowdays. Even my Abbott and Costello movies are progressive.
        You're right. Maybe I would be able to find some, but only to check if deinterlacing is working.

Comment

recent s3 cards are accelerated under mplayer.

Comment

I haven't heard of S3 for a long time so it wouldn't mind trying S3 Chrome, but I don't thing they're available in Europe. In fact, even S3 on-line store is out of stock. I haven't found any S3 cards even on Newegg and Ebay.
            Last edited by Pipe; 13 December 2009, 02:53 AM.

Comment

It is really easy to find interlaced material - lots of dvd from video source or tv stations use it. vdpau works with mpeg2 of course too.

mplayer -vc ffmpeg12vdpau -vo vdpau dvd://

D activates the default deinterlacer - but you can sharpen (or blur with -1) the content too or activate different deinterlacers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                It is really easy to find interlaced material - lots of dvd from video source or tv stations use it. vdpau works with mpeg2 of course too.

mplayer -vc ffmpeg12vdpau -vo vdpau dvd://

D activates the default deinterlacer - but you can sharpen (or blur with -1) the content too or activate different deinterlacers.
                I don't think you really want to even think about this or have this on your mind when you decide what to purchase. Cause it's kind of dumb.

I mean the monitor is not interlaced and the computer doesn't really care about how the video stream is set up. It's going to decode and throw it out in order anyway. A computer is a far cry from a stone stupid DVD or Blueray player. There might be players or viewer software that doesn't do this automatically but i doubt it.

I was checking the bit rates on blueray and wow they kind of suck and the bit rates for cable and over air transmission does too so ya i bet all these things are interlaced to keep the bit rate low.

What does hdparm -t /dev/sda give ya on disk throughput?
                Last edited by Hephasteus; 14 December 2009, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe View Post
                  I haven't heard of S3 for a long time so it wouldn't mind trying S3 Chrome, but I don't thing they're available in Europe. In fact, even S3 on-line store is out of stock. I haven't found any S3 cards even on Newegg and Ebay.
                  They are pretty big in Germany but you have to buy from S3 store.

Comment

@Hephasteus

Linux media players like mplayer/xine definitely do NOT deinterlace by default. Only the common Win tools do that when configured correctly. h264 interlaced is mainly used for tv stations, but as not everybody can receive such a signal using a dvd is no bad idea to test the deinterlacer. I don't get what you want with hdparm, every hd is faster than 48 mBIT/s (6 mb/s) which is the max. bitrate specified for bluray.

Comment

Working...
                    X