• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
    'more involved'?
    emerge -C nvidia-drivers

yeah, that was hard.
    I knew someone who religiously uses Gentoo (only installed that) and tried to install on my system but was unsuccessful. I considered trying it myself but never got around to it.

Maybe I am too lazy or not learning enough or something but my level of expertise is not enough, I think to undergo a Gentoo install. That sounds like it's easy enough, though (i.e. RE: the Nvidia drivers).

Comment

• Hello you guys.

Why is everyone on this Internet, and particularly in this forum, doing as if the AMD Linux Driver would work with the HD 5770?

I am freaking out here, I tried everything.
      Aticonfig keeps telling me that it does not find a supported graphic device. If I force xorg to load with fglrx and my HD 5770 I just see scary green lines and dots.
      I updated the Kernel, and did it again. No change
      I upgraded the whole goddamn distribution (Kubuntu) to newest version. No change.

I havent been so frustrated with my Linux System since Suse 6.5.

How the heck are you getting it to run.

Oh by the way, the file I downloaded (and re-downloaded several times) from ATI is named ati-driver-installer-9-10 though, but the install scripts tells me somenthing like fglrx 8.611 or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by sorab View Post
        Hello you guys.

Why is everyone on this Internet, and particularly in this forum, doing as if the AMD Linux Driver would work with the HD 5770?

I am freaking out here, I tried everything.
        Aticonfig keeps telling me that it does not find a supported graphic device. If I force xorg to load with fglrx and my HD 5770 I just see scary green lines and dots.
        I updated the Kernel, and did it again. No change
        I upgraded the whole goddamn distribution (Kubuntu) to newest version. No change.

I havent been so frustrated with my Linux System since Suse 6.5.

How the heck are you getting it to run.

Oh by the way, the file I downloaded (and re-downloaded several times) from ATI is named ati-driver-installer-9-10 though, but the install scripts tells me somenthing like fglrx 8.611 or so.
        As has been said more than ten times already, the 9.10 drivers do not support the 57x0 series. You need one of the 9.11 betas and a quick forum search will show you where to get those.

Comment

• Here's a link to the stream 2.0 beta page. I believe you want the 9.11 beta driver from here :

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStre...s/default.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Here's a link to the stream 2.0 beta page. I believe you want the 9.11 beta driver from here :

Yep, that one works for me, but it will then show a "AMD Testing" overlay in the bottom RH corner that you can eradicate using a command from Kano's post here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=10

I haven't yet got VAAPI working with this driver though, but I've been too busy to try hard

Comment

• That's an early beta released specifically for use with the Stream SDK. I wouldn't assume it contains working decode acceleration support.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman
                Here's a link to the stream 2.0 beta page. I believe you want the 9.11 beta driver from here :

thank you so much. I will try that one

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                That's an early beta released specifically for use with the Stream SDK. I wouldn't assume it contains working decode acceleration support.
                Fair enough.

Comment

• Just wondering if there is any significant update as to the status of these cards? They seem to always be out of stock.

Also, in Linux, is it something like this?:

OSS drivers - good 2D, 3D is not supported
                  fglrx / proprietary - 3D is supported but has issues; 2D?

Is there (still) video tearing (XV?)
                  Last edited by Panix; 12-04-2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• My understanding is that they are constantly going in and out of stock at the busy retailers, ie cards are constantly arriving but they sell as soon as they arrive.

OSS status is analog vga outputs working but not released yet, no acceleration 2D or 3D.

Not aware of any 2D or 3D issues specific to the Evergreen parts. I believe GL output is still the way to go with fglrx to avoid tearing.

Comment

• I've been watching my favourite shop ever now and then, and there always seem to be *some* cards available.

Today everything but asus is out of stock, tomorrow you cannot order the asus board any more but they have gigabyte boards available, next week you might have to buy sapphire etc. Generally, 57xx seems to be easier to get than 58xx/59xx.

YMMV, of course.

Comment

• Does anyone know what has to be done to get my 5770 to use the X.org drivers?

Changes to Kernel Mode Setting code? Is there a table or a kernel driver which needs updating?

Changes to Direct Rendering Manager? Is there a table or a kernel driver which needs updating?

I guess changes to the X.org radeon or radeonhd drivers themselves need to be made.

Does Gallium fit in here someplace?

BTW, I like this card. Bought it to play Halo 2. Plays Halo 2 on Win 7 very well. Quiet for the most part. Noisy when playing the game, but the sounds of aliens dying drowns it out. I didn't want to upgrade from XP to Win 7 but had to to play Halo 2. Got addicted.

Still, I spend most of my time on Fedora 12. Using the VESA driver. Works well, very fast. Nevertheless, I would like to see what the FOSS X.org stuff can do.

I am not interested in AMD's proprietary drivers. I have nothing against proprietary; not a FOSS purist. It seems the FOSS in this area is on the right track to be superior: fast, efficient, fewer bugs, etc.
                        Positioned for the future.

Comment

• funny enough, Halo 2 works flawlessly in high resolutions with GPUs from two generations ago. I think there are hacks allowing it to run on XP as well. (the limitation to vista+ was a deliberate marketing attempt to get people to buy vista, not a technical requirement)

Originally posted by jmwpx View Post
                          Does anyone know what has to be done to get my 5770 to use the X.org drivers?
                          Probably a bit of everything you suggested. Modesetting changed due to Eyefinity and needs to be rewritten, they're currently working on that (but stumbled over some bugs with DVI outputs).

DRM usually needs to be updated to at least recognize the new GPU, probably needs to add additional informations like changed register locations (or semantics), updated AtomBIOS specs etc.

radeon or radeonhd need to be made aware of the new GPUs as well, not sure about other changes required.

A new shader compiler needs to be written (or the previous one extended) to fit the reworked shader hardware.

Probably a lot of other changes I'm not aware of.

Gallium does not (yet) fit in here, as it isn't widely used nor actually needed yet. Eventually, a G3D driver will need to be written as well, though.

I'd suggest you use fglrx until the OS drivers are ready, it sure is superior to unaccelerated VESA. When OS support for evergreen comes around, you'll read about it on phoronix

Comment

• You are right

funny enough, Halo 2 works flawlessly in high resolutions with GPUs from two generations ago.
                            You are right. I had a Geforce2 Ti 64mb DDR (PIII, 512mb) that played Halo 1 ok on the PC, but struggled a bit when getting overrun by aliens. I wanted a setup that could play Halo 2 with a lot of headroom and maybe play some other mainstream games. Also my machine was unbearably noisy. Needed a change. Now I have a 5570, i860, 4gb which is nearly silent and can play some mainstream games. Also it is very fast, responsive. As with cars and motorcycles, you can never have too much horsepower.

I think there are hacks allowing it to run on XP as well. (the limitation to vista+ was a deliberate marketing attempt to get people to buy vista, not a technical requirement)
                            You are right. But needed a change. Want to try out some other games. Also, I was afraid Microsoft might have me arrested if I tried that hack and resisted their forced march to Vista/Win7. Do not disobey them!

Probably a bit of everything you suggested. Modesetting changed due to Eyefinity and needs to be rewritten, they're currently working on that (but stumbled over some bugs with DVI outputs).

DRM usually needs to be updated to at least recognize the new GPU, probably needs to add additional informations like changed register locations (or semantics), updated AtomBIOS specs etc.

radeon or radeonhd need to be made aware of the new GPUs as well, not sure about other changes required.

A new shader compiler needs to be written (or the previous one extended) to fit the reworked shader hardware.

Probably a lot of other changes I'm not aware of.

Gallium does not (yet) fit in here, as it isn't widely used nor actually needed yet. Eventually, a G3D driver will need to be written as well, though.
                            How does all this work? Is there a team of "Evergreen" folks who do this work or are there separate Linux, DRM, Xorg driver guys?

I'd suggest you use fglrx until the OS drivers are ready, it sure is superior to unaccelerated VESA. When OS support for evergreen comes around, you'll read about it on phoronix
                            Good advice. When fglrx is ready (It works, no watermarks. The poster above is right, they silenced the alarms at Chernobyl because they were too bothersome), I think I will try it out.

Thanks for your reply.
                            Last edited by jmwpx; 12-06-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                              Really? Must have been fixed since I last tried it. I had fun with bits of X needing to be recompiled last time I tried. Oh well, then ignore my previous comments of the nvidia blob under gentoo!
                              Well, you'd change VIDEO_CARDS="NVIDIA" in your /etc/make.conf to VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx", but all that does is pull in the correct Xorg driver packages (nvidia-drivers or fglrx or xf86-video-whatever.) I have transplanted different GPUs into my Gentoo-powered systems and all that was needed was to emerge the correct drivers for the GPU currently in the system and eselect the correct xorg-x11 driver. That's it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MU_Engineer View Post
                                Well, you'd change VIDEO_CARDS="NVIDIA" in your /etc/make.conf to VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx", but all that does is pull in the correct Xorg driver packages (nvidia-drivers or fglrx or xf86-video-whatever.) I have transplanted different GPUs into my Gentoo-powered systems and all that was needed was to emerge the correct drivers for the GPU currently in the system and eselect the correct xorg-x11 driver. That's it.
                                As I mentioned, I had problems last time I tried (quite some time ago), but as others are saying that it was no worries, it must have been a problem with my system in particular. Hence, ignore my comments on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X