AMD Radeon HD 5750/5770

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    The biggest question I would have would be of whether or not fglrx happens to support the OpenGL 2.1 ARB extensions for supporting the bulk of DirectX 10/11 functionality under OpenGL... I know that there were already proposed extensions by the ARB at the time that DirectX 10 came out...
    Fglrx supports 3.1 + most of the 3.2 spec (full support is bound to come soon). This covers ~99% of the DX10 functionality.

Some DX11 features are already supported via extensions (and have been supported for a long time - tesselation comes to mind). However, there's a lot of new stuff in DX11 that will take time to become formulized into OpenGL extensions or core features. My guess is that we will see a new OpenGL 3.3 release around Q1 or Q2 2010 that brings OpenGL into rough feature parity with DX11.

Most DX11-level features should become available as extensions before that - the issue is that Nvidia does not have DX11 hardware yet, so they don't have the incentive to create new OpenGL extensions for those features right now. The actual 3.3 spec will likely be delayed until Nvidia has hardware ready for release (sad but true).

I was only critizing (one can say in a unfriendly way), that the advantages from the summary are mostly not tested in the review.
    The whole review was just benchmarking. When I read the review, I know the cards is as fast as a 4870. Nothing more. For the rest, I have to trust the advertisement or other reviews, which are mostly done on Windows and have to trust, that the behaviour in Windows and Linux is the same.
    Well, starting with Catalyst 9.x, the behavior between Windows and Linux pretty much *is* the same (2d and video performance excepted, but Michael hinted that the latter may finally be resolved soon). How do I know? I have tested Ati cards on both operating systems: 3d performance, power consumption and OpenGL driver bugs are pretty identical.

4. Obviously yes. My X1950 and 4850 show *identical* idle power consumption on Linux and Windows.
    Obviously? Well, obviously a new card is faster than an old card. So why do a review overall?
    Do you have any indication that power consumption may be different between OSes on 5xx0? Because all the indications *I* have is that it will be identical.

5. Yes, the single 6pin connector is significant. Other cards in the same performance bracket need more than that.
    And other cards dont need it but only use it for safety or to reduce load on a line for the power supply. But yeah, you are right! This is an HUGE advantage over other cards.
    Are you really implying that te 4870 has 2x 6-pin connectors just for fun? The GT260 also has 2x 6-pin connectors. Is that just for fun too?

The fact that 5770 gets you the same or better performance with a single connector indicates a HUGE advantage in power consumption over both cards - which most reviews confirm.

You can twist the facts all you like, but the numbers speak for themselves. The 5770 *is* more power efficient and the single 6-pin connector is the direct consequence of that.
    Last edited by BlackStar; 10-14-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Direct3D 11 brings compute shading support. While the 48xx can already work with OpenCL, the 5xxx will do better probably.

In the Gallium3D era the extra shader flexibility will probably be even *more* useful under Linux. I think we'll see very interesting applications in a year or two...

Comment

So is there any documentation released ? Is there any start on the opensource driver ? Sounds like nice hardware ( minus the fan and extra power connector), but seems like it will be 2 or 3 years before it has a stable (open source) driver ? I am still waiting for r600 and r700 to become stable enough that i would buy.

matt

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
          Direct3D 11 brings compute shading support. While the 48xx can already work with OpenCL, the 5xxx will do better probably.

In the Gallium3D era the extra shader flexibility will probably be even *more* useful under Linux. I think we'll see very interesting applications in a year or two...
          I believe the r700 cards support DC4.1 and OpenCL1.0, while the r800 cards will give full DC5 and a to-be-created OpenCL 1.1 version.

Comment

The 5xxx is close enough to the 4xxx that it won't be too far behind, esp since AMD people are working on the open source drivers.

I figure it'll be a few weeks/months? until the documentation's released though. Legal can be odd.

Comment

I don't think the HD5xxx parts will need much in the way of new documentation, at least not until the Mesa devs start to work on supporting DX11 features.

There'll probably be a new ISA doc to cover the shader differences -- we'll know more over the next few weeks.

Comment

Thats good to hear it should be supported soon. I thought AMD/ATI was going for same day release with linux ? ( fglrx, all documentation, open source would nice with at least something started)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I don't think the HD5xxx parts will need much in the way of new documentation, at least not until the Mesa devs start to work on supporting DX11 features.

There'll probably be a new ISA doc to cover the shader differences -- we'll know more over the next few weeks.
                  Ah, very nice indeed...

(btw, on the non-open side, I'm looking forward to playing with OpenCL on my 4830. )

And I think fglrx already works with the 5k's... or will in 9.10. The support infrastructure is there to get free 2D working quickly, but not instantly It's a far cry from the 1xxx and 2xxx series where there was no support for a very long time.
                  Last edited by Chad Page; 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
                    Thats good to hear it should be supported soon. I thought AMD/ATI was going for same day release with linux ? ( fglrx, all documentation, open source would nice with at least something started)
                    Nope, that was never the plan. We *are* going for same day fglrx support, since fglrx can leverage common development effort (the main advantage of a proprietary driver), but the open source work starts shortly before launch when everything has been locked down and we start coding/testing on commercially available hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Nope, that was never the plan. We *are* going for same day fglrx support, since fglrx can leverage common development effort (the main advantage of a proprietary driver), but the open source work starts shortly before launch when everything has been locked down and we start coding/testing on commercially available hardware.
                      I hope you guys will add support for 5750 and 5770 to the opensource drivers soon enough - at least when their general availability gets better here (meaning during the next 3-8 weeks) since I'm planning to get me one of those & thanking you guys via $$$

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
                        Hi Yall & Michael,

um, like dude, di you just say ....

"The Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD2) support with ATI Avivo HD may also be ignored by Linux users at this time, as we have been talking about the X-Video Bitstream Acceleration (XvBA) for a year now and it still has yet to be usable by ATI Radeon customers, but it finally will be in the very near future. UVD2 in ATI Radeon hardware will finally mean something on Linux, but we will have to wait to share more until permitted."

I second that...

I just convinced myself to buy a nvidia card and I read this... but this time i'm not waiting a whole year

Comment

I don't think that it will take 1 year, but with more drawbacks than you would like

Comment

Drawbacks?

Hi Yall & Kano,

"Drawbacks?" Sounds like you have heard something from someone who has used this as yet unreleased software.

Um, care to share?

Greekgeek :-)

Comment

Well you can try the mplayer needed, thats mplayer vaapi. It learnt OSD with nvidia now, but h264 which does play only play h264 profile 4.1 and not 5.1. that is no problem using vdpau with the same mplayer but differnet vo/vc.

Comment

Drawbacks & FGLRX-XvBA-UVD2?

Hi Yall & Kano,

I was thinking more about drawbacks & FGLRX-XvBA-UVD2.

I gather you are pointing out issues with the nVidia implimentation, which is a whole different bundle of joys....

One hope I have, is that the playback issues with video (the popped up again, watching Pink Panter cartons, just now), in particular video tearing.

But I maybe confussing "video accelleration," with "Vsynch" or hoping for a silver bullet.

Still, my new 5850 does play Civ-IV, the way it is meant to be played! ;-)

nVidia lost my vote, with the way the screwed with the code on "BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM" game.

*BFN*

Greekgeek.

Comment

Working...
                                X