ATI Radeon HD 5850/5870 On Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    have you read the test on anandtech? The 5850 is blazing fast. There is no reason to buy a 4870 - except the prize...
    Price *is* a big factor. The 5850 is around twice as fast as the 4850 in theory (a little less in practice, aside from in Far Cry 2), but 2.6x the price. I'm willing to pay a little extra for the performance, but if the 5800 series isn't well supported right away, I might as well get a 48X0 card and enjoy fast open-source 3D drivers sooner.

Originally posted by GotenXiao View Post
    I'm typing this from a Debian Lenny/Sid amd64 box (AMD X4 955BE, 8GB PC2-8500, MSI K9A2 Platinum) with a brand new Radeon 5870 in it. I've got the "Unsupported hardware" banner at the bottom right, but I've not run into any problems so far. I've been running Heroes of Newerth at 1680x1050, vsync off, with 8xAA and 32xAF on at >70FPS. X-Plane runs very nicely at 1680x1050 extreme res with 4xAA and 4xAF (not nudged it any higher yet), ETQW runs very nicely with 16xAF (>60FPS constant). This is with Catalyst 9.9.
    Thanks for braving ahead and getting a card you didn't even know would be functional under Linux!

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
    The AIB vendor (which one BTW?) has the option of including a driver on the CD. Did you check?

The hardware became "supported" between the final packaging of Catalyst 9.9 and the next release. There may some bugs that you may still encounter that were resolved prior to the final release, but the 9.9 catalyst will be 95% "there". Beyond a few small corner cases, the driver should be representative of the performance of the card.

Regards,

Matthew
    By "next release", I assume you mean Catalyst 9.10, right? I basically just want to know if the driver packaged with Ubuntu 9.10 will officially support the 5850.

Comment

Originally posted by chaos386 View Post
      Thanks for braving ahead and getting a card you didn't even know would be functional under Linux!
      Since the 4800 launch, Linux has generally been either included in the release CDs (as mentioned before, AMD doesn't control this), or included in the follow-up catalyst release.

By "next release", I assume you mean Catalyst 9.10, right? I basically just want to know if the driver packaged with Ubuntu 9.10 will officially support the 5850.
      Well, that's an extra variable.

Yes, Catalyst 9.10 should have the hardware enabled by default.

Now, for distributions, we typically do a 1-2 apprach. We look to ensure that at release there is a driver that _mostly_ works (in this case, the 8.660 driver pushed a month or so ago. There may be some quirks when the distro is released, but that is because the distribution may change in the intervening months or we may not have completed all development.

When the distro is formally released, within a month or two we have the "final" release, which contains our full development for that distribution _and_ should be matched to the final release of the distribution.

This does means things like projective transforms in RANDR1.3 get rolled in without much fanfare. (look at the --transform option in xrandr).

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

I just installed an HD5850 onto Ubuntu 9.10 and loaded the FGLRX driver from repository. Works fine with my Apple 23 Inch Cinema display (1920 X 1200/60) so far. Any way to remove the "unsupported hardware" watermark?

Comment

The Catalyst 9.10 driver should include "official" support and remove the "unsupported HW" watermark.

Comment

I'm on the fence of buying a 5870...

Can anyone please confirm current status with drivers?

I need to run:

- two monitors @ 23" @ 2048 x 1152
            - compiz fusion

I can wait with 3D gaming until that is solved. But if I can't get my two monitors to work with compiz I can't work.

My alternative is to buy a 4890 and upgrade within a few months.

Comment

Save your money and get a GT300 next year if you really use it mainly for Linux and not only part time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Save your money and get a GT300 next year if you really use it mainly for Linux and not only part time.
                if it ever comes out, you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Munchkin View Post
                  I need to run:

- two monitors @ 23" @ 2048 x 1152
                  - compiz fusion
                  as bridgman said, the 5870 is officially supported by the 9.10 driver, which has been out for a while. Both multi-monitor and composition are supported. 3D gaming isn't a problem either, unless you're talking about wine.

While Kano is rightly hinting that nvidia's binary drivers are in some ways more mature than fglrx, waiting for an unreleased piece of hardware would be a waste of time. All public knowledge about the GT300 is based on nvidia's press releases, and those releases contain obvious lies. It seems that their promises are mostly a marketing move to stall buyers until nvidia's next generation cards are finally ready. Whether they can actually deliver (and if, when) must at this point be considered "unknown".

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    as bridgman said, the 5870 is officially supported by the 9.10 driver, which has been out for a while. Both multi-monitor and composition are supported.

Well he said "should"... a lot of things should work.

I don't want to waste lots of money on a card that *may* work.

Waiting for nvidia will take too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Munchkin View Post
                      Well he said "should"... a lot of things should work.
                      yeah, he's always careful with his wordings. Probably because he didn't verify it himself.

But the release docs say:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ca..._910_linux.pdf :
                      ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series
                      and if that didn't work, you'd have seen a lot of complaints in here.

Comment

Ugh, my new GTX260 got sent back for repair 5 weeks ago and it's increasingly unlikely that I'll ever see it again. Here in Australia the GTXs are clean out of stock, and even the 5850s are as rare as hen's teeth due to demand.

I really want to stick with NVIDIA but without even a ship date for the 300, I think I and a lot of other Linux users will end up resorting to a 5850.

I really liked my GTX260. When it wasn't crashing (hardware fault) I was able to run Far Cry 2 and Oblivion at 1920x1080 with medium settings at around 20-30fps in Wine. I do hope the Catalyst drivers are sufficiently mature enough to do something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by mykro76 View Post
                          When it wasn't crashing (hardware fault) I was able to run Far Cry 2 and Oblivion at 1920x1080 with medium settings at around 20-30fps in Wine. I do hope the Catalyst drivers are sufficiently mature enough to do something similar.
                          How were you able to determine that it was a hardware fault and not a closed-up binary blob fault?

Comment

I thought ATI was making massive strides in Linux support and that new card users (4000, 5000 series) would have Nvidia-like performance in most cases, with modern drivers?

Comment

as fglrx shares a lot of code with the windows drivers, 3D performance on linux is close to 3D performance on windows. IIRC fglrx doesn't implement EXA though, resulting in slower performance on certain 2D operations.

The OS drivers are different: they offer good 2D acceleration, but the 3D code isn't as optimized as the windows drivers (and in some parts still unfinished). OS drivers aren't written until the hardware is actually released, so it takes a while until they're available for recent hardware.

Comment

On openSUSE with a radeon hd 5850, Kwin crashe automaticaly... No driver work for this gc ??

Comment

Working...
                                X