Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new laptop - what shall I get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux does not support switching gfx on the fly. Best select one of it and it should work. Compare

lspci -nn

Without installed nvidia binary it would be possible to boot with any chipset selected, just no 3d active vor nvidia then. If i would have such a laptop i would write a on boot install/uninstall of the correct driver however
    Last edited by Kano; 08-10-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Responding to the first post, skip anything by Asus; they've sold out completely to Microsoft now and openly attack anything non-Windows.

Comment

I've had very good experience with a Dell D830 on Linux. It's a bit bulky (15.4''), but offers an excellent 1680x1050 screen, keyboard and great Linux support (everything works straight out of the box).

I'm using it for programming all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Linux does not support switching gfx on the fly. Best select one of it and it should work. Compare

lspci -nn

Without installed nvidia binary it would be possible to boot with any chipset selected, just no 3d active vor nvidia then. If i would have such a laptop i would write a on boot install/uninstall of the correct driver however
          its not an big problem... for me.. but for DAU's/noobs it s hart to realice the fakt that is do not "work" in the same "windows" way..

in my point of view i realy will drop this shit intel/nvidia notebook out!

next one will be an desktop with a single VGA! or an notebook with an single VGA!

Comment

As always the same thing can be hard to use for a noob and easy for a pro, so it is not clear what to suggest for others. But some things are faulty by design and that is called fglrx...

Comment

I got an Asus G50Vt-A2 with an 9800 GTS in it. I got it running Ubuntu 64 bit on raid 0. There are a couple of guides out there. I even got the mini LCD working given out system information on it.

Comment

Working...
              X