Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 3.2 Specification Officially Released

Phoronix: OpenGL 3.2 Specification Officially Released

Last month when NVIDIA had published their first official 190.xx driver beta, it was discovered that there was early OpenGL 3.2 support. There was no OpenGL 3.2 specification out in the hands of public developers, but with NVIDIA working closely with the Khronos Group, it wasn't too surprising...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

190.18.03 officially supports it:

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Good job, nVidia. Let's hope the other guys are working on it.

Comment

@vmware working on OpenGL 3.1 state tracker:

Reminded me that this years Black Hat revealed ways to escape from a VMware and Xen guest using 3D.

So maybe that was why VMware bought Khronos Group. They knew the dangers of having 3D in a guest...

Comment

C# bindings for OpenGL 3.2: https://opentk.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/opentk/trunk

Comment

[AMD is too working on OpenGL 3.2 for their Catalyst Linux driver, but based upon their past actions, it will likely be a few months before seeing such support.]

This is the single most hilarious statement I have ever seen in phoronix. Or should we say 'years'? LOL

Comment

The past few months we saw a lot of AMD extensions released and with this release I think we got the confirmation of the full involvment of AMD for OpenGL. AMD contributions are everywhere with these releases and I actually wonder if they were more active than nVidia ... I'm really considering the RV870 to become my main development card when released!
              Source: http://www.g-truc.net/#news0170

I personally am not able to comment on whether this is true or not but at least it seems they're improving.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                [AMD is too working on OpenGL 3.2 for their Catalyst Linux driver, but based upon their past actions, it will likely be a few months before seeing such support.]

This is the single most hilarious statement I have ever seen in phoronix. Or should we say 'years'? LOL
                Perhaps they'll end up dumping catalyst altogether and hoping that the open source catches up eventually. Someone should set up a pool to bet on which driver gets OGL 3.2 support first

Anyway, great news for Linux and NVIDIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  OpenGL3.2=wineexstanion for amd

wine 1.1.25 allready has the wine specifig extansion for nvidia

OpenGL3.2 brings this nvidia-only extansion to AMD Carts!

in fakt OpenGL3.2 is an powerup for catalyst and amd.

not realy for nvidia becourse wine allready has the nvidia-only wine extansion.

on openGL3.2--- amd has the chance to have the same power in WINE.
                  ONLY IF - they can successfully manage to make GL 3.2 available on their driver within their card's useful life time! Without this [BIG] assumption, everything you stated above is pretty much pointless

Really, R300 don't have proper 3D acceleration and it will eventually get there, but, who cares? Is there anyone still using this model? playing games with it?
                  Last edited by FunkyRider; 04 August 2009, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    OpenGL3.2=wineexstanion for amd

wine 1.1.25 allready has the wine specifig extansion for nvidia

OpenGL3.2 brings this nvidia-only extansion to AMD Carts!

in fakt OpenGL3.2 is an powerup for catalyst and amd.

not realy for nvidia becourse wine allready has the nvidia-only wine extansion.

on openGL3.2--- amd has the chance to have the same power in WINE.
                    Sorry, I was just curious - which extension exactly helps wine in the 3D area? Perhaps you mean that many of the new features available in opengl3.2 will be of benefit to wine - but the wine devs still have to incorporate the changes into wine.

Comment

Working...
                    X