Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 3.1 Released Plus New Audio Standard

Phoronix: OpenGL 3.1 Released Plus New Audio Standard

Nine months ago the Khronos Group released the specification to OpenGL 3.0. OpenGL 3.0 brought version 1.30 of the GL Shading Language, the introduction of Vertex Array Objects, texture arrays, more flexible frame-buffer objects, and a number of other graphical features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenGL 3.1 Released Plus Yet Another Audio Standard

I hope the title says it, I am bored to tears over all these audio standards.

I lost track over oss, alsa, phonon, pulseaudio, and what is wrapper for what and what is a wrapper for your neighbor's hot dog.

Yohoo, here comes yet another audio standard... Sigh.

Please, Michael, could you make an graphic overview of all audio standards released. And, which are associated with what, e.g. Gnome, KDE, xfce, etc.

I recall an interview with Mark Shuttleworth from a few months ago where he too thought it was a mess. And, this is harming Linux, I guess. Which standard should developers follow?! They tend to be not only incompatible but also conflicting.

I think iD software jumped on the "wrong" bandwagon several times. Linux software may die off, because of malnutrition.

Heeeellllp, I'm drowning in silence.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
      Please, Michael, could you make an graphic overview of all audio standards released. And, which are associated with what, e.g. Gnome, KDE, xfce, etc.
      You mean this? I can't stop laughing when I look at it. It's big, chaotic, steaming pile of crap :P

Comment

My nvidia script installs 180.37.04 with -vs option. First opengl 3.1 driver from nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          You mean this? I can't stop laughing when I look at it. It's big, chaotic, steaming pile of crap :P

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png
          That's nice, NOT!!!

I used to laugh at the system calls in IIS vs Apache

Compare http://blogs.zdnet.com/images/SysCallIIS.jpg

with http://blogs.zdnet.com/images/SysCallApache.jpg

That is horrible enough. But the Linux sound swamp is just sad.
          Last edited by sabriah; 25 March 2009, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png

If you follow the lines it's not that chaotic. The drawing makes it look more of a mess than what it really is. But yeah, there are way too many standards/wrappers/servers/whatever out there.

Comment

I lost track over oss, alsa, phonon, pulseaudio, and what is wrapper for what and what is a wrapper for your neighbor's hot dog.

I recall an interview with Mark Shuttleworth from a few months ago where he too thought it was a mess. And, this is harming Linux, I guess. Which standard should developers follow?! They tend to be not only incompatible but also conflicting.

I think iD software jumped on the "wrong" bandwagon several times. Linux software may die off, because of malnutrition.

I think, I read for mobile devices, a.k.a. phones/PDA's. Why are you bothered about it? It's not like they are going to integrate that for desktop use.

Comment

the "audio problem" isnt nearly remotely as bad as those people would make it out to be.. the only problem is an artificial one made up by people that dont realize "what what is for".

theres about a trillion libraries with various abstractions for other platforms aswell, such as for winblows - does this mean its a "jungle" and "the winblows audio mess" ?

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                  I think, I read for mobile devices, a.k.a. phones/PDA's. Why are you bothered about it? It's not like they are going to integrate that for desktop use.
                  Ok, you saved my day!

I was under the impression it was for the desktop again.

Sorry for overreacting.

Comment

see my propose in the for a phoronix wiki with a center on graphic (and on audio, if you wish)

Comment

Working...
                    X