Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD FirePro V8700 1GB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD FirePro V8700 1GB

    Phoronix: AMD FirePro V8700 1GB

    The ATI FireGL graphics cards have been a staple of the workstation graphics scene for about a decade, but last year AMD made the decision to end the FireGL series and create the FirePro 3D series in its place. The FirePro 3D series is now made up of graphics cards ranging in price from under $100 USD and built using their RV730 GPU to their highest-end models costing well over $1,000 and using the RV770XT graphics processor. The ATI RV770XT is what is used by the consumer-grade Radeon HD 4870, which was greeted by same-day Linux support and other firsts for their Linux Catalyst driver like OverDrive, RandR 1.2 support, and CrossFire. The support for the new FirePro graphics cards is also first-rate under Linux with their Catalyst driver, but how is their performance? In this article we are examining the ATI FirePro V8700 1GB workstation graphics card under Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13594

  • #2
    on AMD.com only Catalyst 8.563 ???? is downloable! do you use 9-3 beta for your artikle ?

    you break a NDA signt ?

    "With Catalyst 9.3 for Linux we had no problems running the ATI FirePro V8700 in one of our workstation test systems."

    "but sadly using Catalyst 9.3 we experienced crashes."

    http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownloa...ire_linux.aspx


    ok ok ok i write an artikle abaut this nice OpenBeta-Programm for the Masses:

    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15953
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 03-13-2009, 05:04 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Besides benchmark numbers it would be interesting how many monitors could be combined with the FireGL cards. As there are cards out there with 4 connectors and 4850 chip it would be interesting if there is a difference. Maybe when using 2 FireGL cards the same time. How can 4 or more monitors used the same time?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        on AMD.com only Catalyst 8.563 ???? is downloable! do you use 9-3 beta for your artikle ?

        you break a NDA signt ?

        "With Catalyst 9.3 for Linux we had no problems running the ATI FirePro V8700 in one of our workstation test systems."

        "but sadly using Catalyst 9.3 we experienced crashes."

        http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownloa...ire_linux.aspx


        ok ok ok i write an artikle abaut this nice OpenBeta-Programm for the Masses:

        http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15953
        Catalyst 9.2 was used. Simply typo in the article, fixed now.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Catalyst 9.2 was used. Simply typo in the article, fixed now.
          I'm sorry abaut this.. :-(

          Comment


          • #6
            Someone please tell me a company that is using Linux, ATI GPU and Maya. At least AMD can justify what they call a driver and their "focus on firegl products".
            I want the names. Thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              I worked for an animation company using Linux and Maya, and knew another company doing the same. Nobody used FireGL, it was all Nvidia (both Quadro and GeForce). I was the one responsible for the migration to Linux, and I recommended Nvidia (and still do..)

              I also worked for a company developing radiological 3D software using Linux GPU rendernodes. Initially they used FireGL, but there were a lot stability problems as well as performance issues. Granted, it was before ATI changed their OpenGL driver and this new GPU, but as the saying goes: "Too little too late." The company now only recommends Nvidia to their customers.

              I now work in the visual effects field again, using Linux (of course). All GPUs in our workstations are Nvidia, and we get great stability and performance. I would like to try the RV7xx series, because I respect AMD for opening the specs, but I am a little disheartened when reading people still experience basic problems with ATI. If I one day buy ATI, it will be for the open source support.

              @ Phoronix:
              Could you somehow include Blender in PTS, please? I would love to see how the FirePro stacks up against the Radeon in this application, or if the Catalyst driver is only geared towards 3D software included in SPECviewperf...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by numasan View Post
                I worked for an animation company using Linux and Maya, and knew another company doing the same. Nobody used FireGL, it was all Nvidia (both Quadro and GeForce). I was the one responsible for the migration to Linux, and I recommended Nvidia (and still do..)

                I also worked for a company developing radiological 3D software using Linux GPU rendernodes. Initially they used FireGL, but there were a lot stability problems as well as performance issues. Granted, it was before ATI changed their OpenGL driver and this new GPU, but as the saying goes: "Too little too late." The company now only recommends Nvidia to their customers.

                I now work in the visual effects field again, using Linux (of course). All GPUs in our workstations are Nvidia, and we get great stability and performance. I would like to try the RV7xx series, because I respect AMD for opening the specs, but I am a little disheartened when reading people still experience basic problems with ATI. If I one day buy ATI, it will be for the open source support.

                @ Phoronix:
                Could you somehow include Blender in PTS, please? I would love to see how the FirePro stacks up against the Radeon in this application, or if the Catalyst driver is only geared towards 3D software included in SPECviewperf...

                You are the living demonstration that their "we focus driver on FireGL GPU" is just a way to not say the truth. They just can't handle writing a driver.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Numasan mentioned that his last experience with ATI workstation products was over 18 months ago, with the old driver stack we picked up when we aquired FireGL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hopefully the open source moves will start paying off soon. The fact that there's usable 2D now for current chips means you can go out and spec a current PC with a new low-end AMD GPU and have it work stably with the OSS drivers

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by numasan View Post
                      nvidia nvidia nvidia
                      Does nvidia Pay for this ?

                      can i have a pay to if i drop my ATI cart and telling FUD to ?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                        Does nvidia Pay for this ?

                        can i have a pay to if i drop my ATI cart and telling FUD to ?
                        No, but it would be nice if they did!
                        Believe what you want, I only responded to bulletxt question since I do have experience with DCC apps this highend FirePro targets. This is not only the case on Linux, since I know a lot of people in VFX (primarily in Denmark and Sweden) who use Windows, and they have the same feelings about ATI. If this is going to change, the experience with an ATI card must be much better than current Nvidia offerings, and not only on price. It doesn't matter if ATI is almost as good, it must be clearly better overall, no matter platform. The damaged image ATI has must be cleared, but that can't happen until their driver does what it's supposed to (work reliably like their main competitor). I said I would give ATI another chance, because I truly respect them opening up stuff and dedicating resources on the open source development, and I'm a long time FLOSS advocate, but I still expect at least the same experience, preferably better, than Nvidia. I can't recommend hardware that are almost there...

                        Originally posted by bridgman
                        Numasan mentioned that his last experience with ATI workstation products was over 18 months ago, with the old driver stack we picked up when we aquired FireGL.
                        Yes, but the damage to your image is done. How many years was it since you aquired FireGL?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For what it's worth, I agree with you. It takes a long time to change market perceptions, particularly in the workstation area. That said, I think the change is starting to happen.

                          I'm not sure how long ago we acquired FireGL (I think it was 2002-ish), but at the time all the FireGL products were based on IBM GPUs.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just to clarify, the FireGL boards I have experience with, were from 2006-2007 (the series number escaped me). Surely you didn't use IBM GPU's then? But the codebase was the same? What you did with the new OpenGL driver and the new GPU architecture, was to reboot your whole effort in the workstation area. Frankly, you should have done this as soon as you changed from IBM to your own design. Now you face the troubles of convincing DCC users that this time you really mean it! We are in 2009 now, this situation should be a non issue, not a potential risk.

                            I think I will buy an RV7xx now (not FirePro yet), in a couple of months, to see if things are really better. Personally I think you should concentrate all your efforts into the open source driver, make it the best OpenGL performer out there with Linux stability. I don't care about DRM (nobody I know in the VFX business cares about digital restriction management. We make graphics, we don't deliver it). I just want to take advantage of the awesome hardware you made. I will give it a shot until the end of this year. If it is not better than Nvidia by then, I'm afraid the boat has sailed...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              @bridgman

                              Why is CF not supported with FirePro? At least not in Win and Linux tests only crashed the system using 2x FirePro V7750.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X