Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD FirePro V8700 1GB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD FirePro V8700 1GB

    Phoronix: AMD FirePro V8700 1GB

    The ATI FireGL graphics cards have been a staple of the workstation graphics scene for about a decade, but last year AMD made the decision to end the FireGL series and create the FirePro 3D series in its place. The FirePro 3D series is now made up of graphics cards ranging in price from under $100 USD and built using their RV730 GPU to their highest-end models costing well over $1,000 and using the RV770XT graphics processor. The ATI RV770XT is what is used by the consumer-grade Radeon HD 4870, which was greeted by same-day Linux support and other firsts for their Linux Catalyst driver like OverDrive, RandR 1.2 support, and CrossFire. The support for the new FirePro graphics cards is also first-rate under Linux with their Catalyst driver, but how is their performance? In this article we are examining the ATI FirePro V8700 1GB workstation graphics card under Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13594

  • #2
    on AMD.com only Catalyst 8.563 ???? is downloable! do you use 9-3 beta for your artikle ?

    you break a NDA signt ?

    "With Catalyst 9.3 for Linux we had no problems running the ATI FirePro V8700 in one of our workstation test systems."

    "but sadly using Catalyst 9.3 we experienced crashes."

    http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownloa...ire_linux.aspx


    ok ok ok i write an artikle abaut this nice OpenBeta-Programm for the Masses:

    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15953
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 03-13-2009, 05:04 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Besides benchmark numbers it would be interesting how many monitors could be combined with the FireGL cards. As there are cards out there with 4 connectors and 4850 chip it would be interesting if there is a difference. Maybe when using 2 FireGL cards the same time. How can 4 or more monitors used the same time?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        on AMD.com only Catalyst 8.563 ???? is downloable! do you use 9-3 beta for your artikle ?

        you break a NDA signt ?

        "With Catalyst 9.3 for Linux we had no problems running the ATI FirePro V8700 in one of our workstation test systems."

        "but sadly using Catalyst 9.3 we experienced crashes."

        http://support.amd.com/de/gpudownloa...ire_linux.aspx


        ok ok ok i write an artikle abaut this nice OpenBeta-Programm for the Masses:

        http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15953
        Catalyst 9.2 was used. Simply typo in the article, fixed now.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Catalyst 9.2 was used. Simply typo in the article, fixed now.
          I'm sorry abaut this.. :-(

          Comment


          • #6
            Someone please tell me a company that is using Linux, ATI GPU and Maya. At least AMD can justify what they call a driver and their "focus on firegl products".
            I want the names. Thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              I worked for an animation company using Linux and Maya, and knew another company doing the same. Nobody used FireGL, it was all Nvidia (both Quadro and GeForce). I was the one responsible for the migration to Linux, and I recommended Nvidia (and still do..)

              I also worked for a company developing radiological 3D software using Linux GPU rendernodes. Initially they used FireGL, but there were a lot stability problems as well as performance issues. Granted, it was before ATI changed their OpenGL driver and this new GPU, but as the saying goes: "Too little too late." The company now only recommends Nvidia to their customers.

              I now work in the visual effects field again, using Linux (of course). All GPUs in our workstations are Nvidia, and we get great stability and performance. I would like to try the RV7xx series, because I respect AMD for opening the specs, but I am a little disheartened when reading people still experience basic problems with ATI. If I one day buy ATI, it will be for the open source support.

              @ Phoronix:
              Could you somehow include Blender in PTS, please? I would love to see how the FirePro stacks up against the Radeon in this application, or if the Catalyst driver is only geared towards 3D software included in SPECviewperf...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by numasan View Post
                I worked for an animation company using Linux and Maya, and knew another company doing the same. Nobody used FireGL, it was all Nvidia (both Quadro and GeForce). I was the one responsible for the migration to Linux, and I recommended Nvidia (and still do..)

                I also worked for a company developing radiological 3D software using Linux GPU rendernodes. Initially they used FireGL, but there were a lot stability problems as well as performance issues. Granted, it was before ATI changed their OpenGL driver and this new GPU, but as the saying goes: "Too little too late." The company now only recommends Nvidia to their customers.

                I now work in the visual effects field again, using Linux (of course). All GPUs in our workstations are Nvidia, and we get great stability and performance. I would like to try the RV7xx series, because I respect AMD for opening the specs, but I am a little disheartened when reading people still experience basic problems with ATI. If I one day buy ATI, it will be for the open source support.

                @ Phoronix:
                Could you somehow include Blender in PTS, please? I would love to see how the FirePro stacks up against the Radeon in this application, or if the Catalyst driver is only geared towards 3D software included in SPECviewperf...

                You are the living demonstration that their "we focus driver on FireGL GPU" is just a way to not say the truth. They just can't handle writing a driver.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Numasan mentioned that his last experience with ATI workstation products was over 18 months ago, with the old driver stack we picked up when we aquired FireGL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hopefully the open source moves will start paying off soon. The fact that there's usable 2D now for current chips means you can go out and spec a current PC with a new low-end AMD GPU and have it work stably with the OSS drivers

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X