Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL In Gallium3D By Summer

Phoronix: OpenCL In Gallium3D By Summer

Zack Rusin, one of the influential developers behind the Linux graphics scene, has blogged about OpenCL support in the free software stack. Just yesterday we talked about support for OpenCL in GCC, but Zack's work deals with implementing support for the Open Computing Language into the open-source X.Org drivers. With Gallium3D, which soon will enter Mesa's mainline code-base, the OpenCL support is relatively easy to come by through just programming a new state tracker...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzAzMw

...the OpenCL support is relatively easy to come by through just programming a new state tracker.
    That kind of statement always makes me real nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
      That kind of statement always makes me real nervous.
      well
      the text says relative

Comment

Sounds too good to be true

But which drivers will use Gallium3D support by summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          Sounds too good to be true

But which drivers will use Gallium3D support by summer?
          i like to think ati

Comment

Also, which hardware it will be supported? R700 +1?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
              i like to think ati
              ATI is a good bet, isn't there already someone working on using LLVM as an ATI shader compiler? I think that would be all the card-specific code that would be needed.

Comment

But, will I have to upgrade my hd2600 to a newer (and expensive) card to get OpenCL?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  ATI is a good bet, isn't there already someone working on using LLVM as an ATI shader compiler? I think that would be all the card-specific code that would be needed.
                  mostawesomedude is working on the llvm for r300, but i dont know the status of it

Comment

Current thinking is that the open source drivers will use Gallium3D for 3xx and up. The R300 work MostAwesomeDude is doing should cover 3xx-5xx, and we plan to switch our 3D work on 6xx/7xx to Gallium3D once we have basic 3D up and running on those chips using the "classic" Mesa hw driver model.

Comment

Ahh, LLVM again. Every inch it gains makes me happier, and I can't wait until Clang is further along in its support for C and C++.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                        Current thinking is that the open source drivers will use Gallium3D for 3xx and up. The R300 work MostAwesomeDude is doing should cover 3xx-5xx, and we plan to switch our 3D work on 6xx/7xx to Gallium3D once we have basic 3D up and running on those chips using the "classic" Mesa hw driver model.
                        cant tell you how BADLY i want this

Comment

Well, this is a bit offtopic but, what about propietary ATI/Nvidia drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerdv View Post
                            Well, this is a bit offtopic but, what about propietary ATI/Nvidia drivers?
                            they might be faster with the opencl support but they certainly wont support gallium3d.
                            but thinking about proprietary gallium3d drivers is interessting xD

btw:
                            talking about gallium and stuff:
                            would gallium actually be usefull for multi gpu or on the fly gpu switching since it abstracts the hardware.
                            i dont know to much about gpu drivers but is it possible to switch the underlying gallium driver?

Comment

i dont know to much about gpu drivers but is it possible to switch the underlying gallium driver?
                              I think that is the point behind Gallium.

With the older-style Mesa-based DRI drivers there was a hell of a lot of code that was made dependent on one card or another.. a monolythic approach at doing drivers.

With Gallium it's designed in a more modular manner were the device-specific code is kept as concentrated as possible. I don't know what it is any more, but there was a 'Winsys' driver concept were Gallium would just need that portion rewrote for each GPU while the rest of the driver remains relatively unchanged device to device.

This way your able to abstract the differences and support all sorts of different setups... Keep in mind that GPUs are designed for highly parrallel operations, each modern GPU is made up of dozens of smaller 'cores' or pipelines or whatever that can be used simultaniously. So that supporting multiple GPUs or architectures like Cell shouldn't be terrifically difficult.

Which makes sense then because OpenCL is designed to work across lots of different archs.

Comment

Working...
                              X