No announcement yet.

OpenCL In Gallium3D By Summer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who is willing to bet that nvidia comes out with fully working OpenCL support in linux before everybody else(they are only a step away with cuda)?

Not that I like proprietary drivers, but it seems to me that open source stuff (particularly graphics) seldom arrives anywhere near "on time". I'm not being disparaging but just saying that this is what usually happens for better or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
      who is willing to bet that nvidia comes out with fully working OpenCL support in linux before everybody else(they are only a step away with cuda)?

Not that I like proprietary drivers, but it seems to me that open source stuff (particularly graphics) seldom arrives anywhere near "on time". I'm not being disparaging but just saying that this is what usually happens for better or worse.
      well ati has stream
      but i think nvidia will be first, too

but having early opencl support can only be usefull...
      who would write software that isnt supported by any drivers?
      so by the time gallium3d or ati adopts opencl we have a nice set of opencl software already written
      well at least thats the theory
      Last edited by Pfanne; 02-02-2009, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Wait a sec, I read somewhere that OpenCL (about which I just have very little abstract knowledge) is owned by Apple ? And its OpenSource ???

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
          Wait a sec, I read somewhere that OpenCL (about which I just have very little abstract knowledge) is owned by Apple ? And its OpenSource ???
          AFAIK, Apple owns the trademark. OpenCL is an "open" specification, which means that anyone can implement it. For an implementation to use the "OpenCL" name, it will have to pass a certification process for a nominal fee, but that's it.

OpenCL is not open source, because open *source* does not make sense for a spec. OpenCL can have open source implementations, however - pretty much like Mesa3D is a non-certified, open source implementation of the OpenGL spec.

Comment

http://fireuser.com/blog/amd_opencl_...aph_asia_2008/

it seems that ATI has something

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
              With the older-style Mesa-based DRI drivers there was a hell of a lot of code that was made dependent on one card or another.. a monolythic approach at doing drivers.
              In all fairness to the old Mesa ways, when it was designed graphics cards were a lot more about fixed function hardware. There wasn't much sharing because there wasn't much to share, everyone had their own hardware bits.

With programmable shaders, and particularly universal shaders there's a lot more reason to make a low-level API. There's one layer to expose shading capability through Gallium3D in a standardized way and one fairly* hardware independent one to implement application APIs like OpenGL on shaders. (* optimization may still mean doing things in different ways due to different architecture; but the primitives are the same)

Comment

Working...
              X