Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OCZ Alchemy Elixir Keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OCZ Alchemy Elixir Keyboard

    Phoronix: OCZ Alchemy Elixir Keyboard

    When thinking of OCZ Technology what comes to mind? High-end DDR3? DDR2 with large and unique heatspreaders? Their Neural Impulse Actuator? Chances are you're thinking of them for their memory products they've been manufacturing for eight years, but not for any OCZ-branded keyboards. However, OCZ has done just that and they've introduced their very first keyboard targeted towards gamers. The Elixir Keyboard is part of OCZ's growing Alchemy series of gaming products. We're not terribly surprised that OCZ has introduced a keyboard, seeing as this company is extremely innovative and has been on the fast track since acquiring PC Power & Cooling and Hypersonic PC last year. Today at Phoronix we are checking out this first OCZ keyboard named the Elixir.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12725

  • #2
    Couldn't you map the non working keys yourself?
    Did they show up in xev or dmesg or didn't the kernel recognize them?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      Couldn't you map the non working keys yourself?
      Did they show up in xev or dmesg or didn't the kernel recognize them?
      No, as mentioned in the article, they didn't show up in xev and they also didn't showing up in dmesg.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        No, as mentioned in the article, they didn't show up in xev and they also didn't showing up in dmesg.

        Does the kernel recognise the scan codes? I seem to remember I had to add some codes with setkeycodes to make my keyboard work.

        Check setkeycodes(8) and showkey(1).

        Comment


        • #5
          Can anyone tell me, why very close to all new keyboards have the Return key shaped like
          Code:
          ---
          
          and not like
          
          ----
             |
             |
          
          or even
             |
          ---|
          which would make sense, as it then have the shape of the symbol.

          This is really a big mystery to me...

          Comment


          • #6
            Good keyboards comes from Cherry

            Cherry offers very good quality keyboards which are very well supported under Linux (x.org). Furthermore they offers Linux tools for some keyboards for tweaking when there are many special keys.

            The very useful special keys on the Marlin Desktop are out-of-the box linux supported.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hochglanz View Post
              Cherry offers very good quality keyboards which are very well supported under Linux (x.org). Furthermore they offers Linux tools for some keyboards for tweaking when there are many special keys.

              The very useful special keys on the Marlin Desktop are out-of-the box linux supported.
              Are you German? Cherry keyboards are not easy to get outside of Germany, even in Finland or Belgium it's a special order, and I don't think you can get them at all in the US.

              Cherry keyboards are decent quality, I've got an elderly Cymotion Linux keyboard from them that has Tux instead of the Windows logo. I programmed the extra keys myself back then though, although now there's a definition for them in X for quite some time already.

              KDE is much more flexible with special key bindings than Gnome; it's hard to get a maximum of functionality out of multimedia keys in Gnome the last time I checked.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by december View Post
                Are you German? Cherry keyboards are not easy to get outside of Germany, even in Finland or Belgium it's a special order, and I don't think you can get them at all in the US.
                yes, I am and I'm surprised about the availability of the keyboards outside germany. I just read that a german company bought Cherry this month from an american company. I assumed that their home market is also U.S.

                If not it's a pity - I'm very content with mine.
                But you're right, I configured the audio keys to control amarok with KDE control center.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hochglanz View Post
                  yes, I am and I'm surprised about the availability of the keyboards outside germany. I just read that a german company bought Cherry this month from an american company. I assumed that their home market is also U.S.

                  If not it's a pity - I'm very content with mine.
                  But you're right, I configured the audio keys to control amarok with KDE control center.
                  Ah? I always thought Cherry was a German company. And it is a pity, because they are decent keyboards and we ought to promote our own products a bit better within Europe, as well as to the rest of the world ofcourse.

                  The keyboard section is almost as much Logitech these days as the sound card section is Creative. As an (unhealthy) matter of fact, my local PC shop sells only Creative sound cards.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    it comfortable to the hand ?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X