Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

Phoronix: I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

As many Phoronix readers will recall, I switched from a Retina MacBook Pro to an ASUS Zenbook Prime ultrabook. After overcoming some issues, the setup was nice, but I'm already having some regrets and issues...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMzE

Issues

Hi Michael,

I have an older zenbook with a 3rd gen Intel.
    In the beginning i used Bumblebee and there where often issues with that.

But now that nvidia-prime works i've settled with having to log out when switching to Nvidia.

Other than that my computer has been stable all the time. I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 now but i started on 13.04.
    Bettery life is approx 4 hrs with intel gfx and 2 hrs with Nvidia.

Br Magnus

Comment

Try different distro

I faced similar issue older Ubuntu version, try changing distro (debian-sid, fedora).

Comment

If the problem is only with Firefox, try disabling hardware acceleration (menu > preferences > Advanced > Browsing > Uncheck use hardware acceleration when available). I used to have some similar (albeit smaller, nothing as bad) problems, and turning it off fixed it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post
          I faced similar issue older Ubuntu version, try changing distro (debian-sid, fedora).
          or suse :P

Comment

Awe poor Michael can't handle running unstable software(kernels) in production? Man stick to testing them for people like us who can handle these sorts of problems, fix them, but also don't have the time or resources to just automate everything like you do which makes this site's numbers & benchmark results worth being in my RSS feeds.

Fix it yourself(use a stable kernel) and stop bitching or go back to the Mac side. No one is forcing you to stick on linux but try not to bitch & whine & complain about problems you cause for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

As many Phoronix readers will recall, I switched from a Retina MacBook Pro to an ASUS Zenbook Prime ultrabook. After overcoming some issues, the setup was nice, but I'm already having some regrets and issues...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMzE
              RAM or Mainboard RAM related issue would IMO probably occur when the computer is under use, and specific address, or addresses is/are accessed, and not when the laptop is idle.

Comment

I think perhaps he should consider buying a laptop that is supported natively by Linux... if he's willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for a Mac, why couldn't he put a little more buck in to get a System76? They have iris machines that are fully supported.

Comment

Please try drm-intel-fixes

We've screwed up batch placement a bit in 3.15, and 3.15-rc7 doesn't have the fix for that yet. It's in drm-intel-fixes, Jani just sent the pull request for that to Dave yesterday.

Comment

hardware related problem imo. Try to run some graphics intensive tests over period of time and log temp sensors that are available

Comment

It is very hard to relate to this specific case until we know the cause. However, your experience is not unique, power consumption and buggy graphics drivers is still very much a challenge on linux. It just underlines that linux is not ready for the desktop yet. I am very happy to see the progress done on both accounts the last years, so I do believe you have been a bit unlucky (whereas just four years ago your issues was very common). In any case, the year of the linux desktop is still not here, and we all need to be patient and keep focussed for yet some more time to iron out the issues.

In the mean time, consider wasting some time hunting the causes. If the machine is overheating prior to reboots, that should be possible to monitor. It should also then be easy to locate the sinner (i.e., is it CPU or GPU, is it a runaway process or a GPU driver issue). Distro-hopping may or may not be a solution here. Your hardware is brand new, so you probably need to go with a fairly bleeding distro anyway. In this case Ubuntu 14.04 is as good as any other (and no, I am not saying this as an Ubuntu fanboy if anybody got that impression).

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
                        hardware related problem imo. Try to run some graphics intensive tests over period of time and log temp sensors that are available
                        If it was a hardware related issue, then he would also face similar problems in windows.

Don't worry, everything would be fixed soon.
                        Sometime ago I had similar restart problems with my radeom GPU. Back then, I had filed a bug in the freedesktop.org.
                        It turn out to be a bug in the cairo package.
                        I suggest you trying one of the LTS kernels to test any kernel related issue. For instance, I am using kernel 3.4.91 in ubuntu 14.04 without any problem.
                        Maybe switching to ubuntu 12.04.4 would be the last option.

Comment

Originally posted by danvet View Post
                          We've screwed up batch placement a bit in 3.15, and 3.15-rc7 doesn't have the fix for that yet. It's in drm-intel-fixes, Jani just sent the pull request for that to Dave yesterday.
                          @Michael
                          http://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-inte...24d6c95344117f

Hanging reported there for Iris , so Michael it is compile time for you .

Comment

If it is a RAM problem, the RAM test boot option (don't remember the exact name right now) that comes by default with Ubuntu installations usually finds that in a couple of minutes.

Comment

it seems another crapple sponsored FUD. Use stable system or shut up.

Comment

Working...
                              X