No announcement yet.

VESA Adds Adaptive-Sync To DisplayPort 1.2a Specification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It always annoys me when people say "performance penalty of v-sync". Seriously, its like 47 vs 47 or 32 vs 30. It isn't that big of a performance penalty.
    That being said, its nice to see this will be available in many monitors in the future and for non-nvidia systems.

I'm currious, what changes software wise will have to be done to make it work?
    Will it just be a change in the driver code?
    Or will the games have to be modified to take advantage of it?

Comment

Nothing needs to be modified in client-side code. SwapBuffers just suddenly stops blocking.

Comment

Hope HDMI copy this feature, or Intel NUCs start shipping with a Display Port.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
          Hope HDMI copy this feature, or Intel NUCs start shipping with a Display Port.
          Most of them do have displayport, mini displayport at least.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            It always annoys me when people say "performance penalty of v-sync". Seriously, its like 47 vs 47 or 32 vs 30. It isn't that big of a performance penalty.
            It's not 32 vs. 30.

It's snapping to multiples of the refresh rate so it magnifies even momentary drop-offs by skipping the associated frames. (eg. instead of 30 30 29 30, it's 30 30 15 30 because the frame that was a hair late has to be delayed until the next refresh.)

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
              It's also a latency penalty. Not only that but random latency that causes jitter. When the frame rate drops below the sync rate it starts getting delayed from 0 to 16 ms. It's worst when the system is dropping just below 60 Hz. That's why some games intentionally decide they're only going to do 30 fps even if they can sometimes do 60. A solid 30 is better than a random 60.

What you might be seeing is if you have Adaptive V-Sync turned on (it may even be the default on Nvidia these days). I think AMD calls it something else. But that uses V-Sync above 60 and turns it off below 60. That results in a smooth 49 or 42 FPS except it still has nasty visible tearing when you rotate the view.

Comment

Working...
              X