Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Reviving The WRT54G Router In 802.11AC Form

Phoronix: Linksys Reviving The WRT54G Router In 802.11AC Form

Many Phoronix readers likely recall the glory years of the open-source-friendly Linksys WRT54G router that for some is still a great device and there's still the thriving OpenWRT community. Good news out of CES today is that Linksys is letting the WRT54G live-on in the form of the 802.11ac-based WRT1900AC...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU2MTg

Way too expensive.

Also the old Linksys was owned by Cicso.
    Nowadays it is owned by Belkin which I trust much less.

Comment

This should be about the WRT54GL? The WRT54GL is the router with Linux based firmware that can be easily used with DD/Open WRT (i use one right now with DD-WRT). Some of the G/GS variants arent that OSS friendly AFAIK.

Comment

For $300 I'd build a computer and stick a bunch of network adapters in it.

Comment

"the open-source-friendly Linksys WRT54G"? You must be joking. As mentioned above the WRT54GL was the one that made it at least a bit opensource-friendly. The required Broadcom chip driver was still closed source and using it required running a 2.4x kernel. There were reverse enigeneering efforts like brcm47xx but in the time a ran OpenWRT on the WRT54GL 2.6 based brcm47xx has never been stable enough to be usable. It was a great device per specs, but the lack of opensource-friendlyness was actually the main reason why I replaced mines with some Buffalo WZRsomething later.

On some other news page the wording in regards to OpenWRT-compatibility was "they are going to port OpenWRT to it" which sounds rather awkward, given OpenWRT uses a Linux kernel with a minimum possible amount of patches. So, does Linux now run on hat new thing out of the box, or will OpenWRT devs be required to maintain a package for some binary driver blob sh*t yet again and Linksys will just work with them to get things (resp: the mess) started?

Comment

They miss the point of the WRT54G that was taking cheap common hardware and doing nice things with it.
            For that kind of money, just glue a 802.11ac router to an arm board or something...

Comment

Many Phoronix readers likely recall the glory years of the open-source-friendly Linksys WRT54G
              Recall the glory years? *looks to the left* Yeah, my WRT54GL is running as fine as ever, thank you very much. That said, for the longest time I didn't know projects like DD-WRT existed. Then I found out they do, and now I'm running DD-WRT on it (and enjoying features like LAN computer names much easier to type in "ssh user@dragon" than "ssh user@192.168.1.103" and hope the IP hasn't changed since last time). And now that I do, I won't buy any routers without DD-WRT support.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                now I'm running DD-WRT on it (and enjoying features like LAN computer names – much easier to type in "ssh user@dragon" than "ssh user@192.168.1.103" and hope the IP hasn't changed since last time).
                thats why I use dns

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
                  thats why i use dns
                  :d 1234

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                    :d 1234
                    What is that supposed to mean? Maybe I should reiterate, thats why I use dns and static ips.

Comment

Working...
                    X