Linux Can Work On The 2013 MacBook Air

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justin2net View Post
    I hope all the compatibility issues are sorted out soon and the battery life is not significantly reduced under Linux.

With the previous Macbook Airs, has the battery life taken a hit when running Linux?

For my Linux dev laptop, I am trying to decide between:
    • Haswell 2013 Macbook Air (Excellent battery life under OS X, good chassis, low-res screen, many Linux compatibility issues)
    • Dell XPS 13 (non-Haswell but 1080 screen, good Linux support, cheaper than alternatives at $900 for a new one off eBay)
    • Chromebook Pixel (Excellent screen but $$$, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, non-upgradeable) (probably unlikely)

Any thoughts and recommendations?
    Yeah, wait. Look for the haswell versions of Asus Zenbook Infinity, sony vaio pro 13, samsung ativ book 9 plus, or Acer aspire s7.
    Haswell has brought out tons of great laptops. The problem, for me, is trying to find out which have the best battery life b/c almost no reviewer sets the screen to the same number of candelas, so you get widely varying battery times from reviews.

Comment

This whole issue sounds more like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Yeah, wait. Look for the haswell versions of Asus Zenbook Infinity, sony vaio pro 13, samsung ativ book 9 plus, or Acer aspire s7.
        Haswell has brought out tons of great laptops. The problem, for me, is trying to find out which have the best battery life b/c almost no reviewer sets the screen to the same number of candelas, so you get widely varying battery times from reviews.
        Pretty sure Lenovo will have an ultra-portable (if not ultrabook) Haswell Thinkpad out soon too, if you don't mind waiting a few days. The system76/clevo options look interesting in terms of performance per package size but I'm not convinced about quality or battery life and I don't think they're offering anything smaller than 14".

Comment

Well, I bought a new XPS 13 i7 128gb SSD 8gb RAM 1080p for $850 USD. Couldn't wait any longer. I think I scored a good deal.

I still hope to see the compatibility issues of the new MBAs worked out and the battery life under Linux tested...

Comment

This is pretty interesting, I've been trying to get Linux up and running on my MacBook Air 6,1 as well. I haven't gotten it to work yet though, but I did document my process pretty throughly here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12786229

I'm glad there are some people with a lot more experience than me working on this. However I'm available to try any suggestions you might have!

Eventually would want to get a penetration testing distro like Kali up and running on the MacBook Air 6,1

Comment

Working...
            X