No announcement yet.

Sound Blaster Z No sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 3.13. None of the analog ports work. I have onboard audio disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by fanATic View Post
      If their support sucks for Windows you could expect it also sucks for Linux. In short, do not buy sound cards from Creative Labs.
      Some people gotta learn the hard way.
      Its not like any of ASUS's (or any other C-Media CMI-8788/8888 derivative) is working any better...

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
        Its not like any of ASUS's (or any other C-Media CMI-8788/8888 derivative) is working any better...
        It's not the same. By the way, Creative Labs even screw Windows users by forcing them to "upgrade" their sound cards for use on newer versions on Windows. In short, their driver support sucks big time.

Comment

Originally posted by fanATic View Post
          It's not the same.
          Sure it is; ASUS's cards have been better then Creative for some time (Since the D2 launched in 2008), have comparable features, but still lack even a basic driver.

By the way, Creative Labs even screw Windows users by forcing them to "upgrade" their sound cards for use on newer versions on Windows. In short, their driver support sucks big time.
          Which has been known for years. That being said, everything post-Audigy 2 still has a valid driver, even on Win 8.

Comment

[QUOTE=gamerk2;415539]Sure it is; ASUS's cards have been better then Creative for some time (Since the D2 launched in 2008), have comparable features, but still lack even a basic driver.

Is Asus creator of C-Media CMI-8788/8888 audio chips? Than how do you expect that Asus give better support for GNU/Linux?

It's like blaming Asus for graphic card with Radeon GPU with lousy driver support for GNU/Linux, or manufacturer of USB Wi-F Adapters e.g. AirLive for lousy Wi-Fi driver support under GNU/Linux.

Blame chip(set) manufacturer.

Creative Labs have its own DSP's.

Comment

Sound's been working for me in Ubuntu 13.10+ and Arch Linux with my Creative Recon3D, which is the same CA0132 chip. However, as far as I know, only the headphone and front speaker ports work. It may require adding the following to /etc/rc.local in Ubuntu:

Code:
              rmmod snd-hda-intel
              modprobe snd-hda-intel position_fix=1
              Finally, manually enable the HP/Speaker feature and unmuting Master with alsamixer and run 'sudo alsactl store'. There is a possibility that this will not work, however, as the firmware in the sound card is rather buggy with Linux. I've had my Recon3D outright refuse to work for months in the past, then suddenly start working again randomly without a change.

It may be a good idea to invest in either an external DAC/AMP or carefully selecting a well-supported ASUS sound card.

Comment

Working...
              X