Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Updates To Be Played In Linux 3.10 Kernel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sound Updates To Be Played In Linux 3.10 Kernel

    Phoronix: Sound Updates To Be Played In Linux 3.10 Kernel

    Beyond knowing about the graphics driver changes coming for the Linux 3.10 kernel, the ALSA/sound kernel driver changes for the soon-to-open merge window are becoming more clear too...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NjY

  • #2
    Cointains firmware support for CA0132 (Creative Core3D DSP) should fix my issues with braking sound, but as i chekced RC there still issues with recording from optical input in Audacity.... i kind of start to suspect that this is Audacity issue

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
      Cointains firmware support for CA0132 (Creative Core3D DSP) should fix my issues with braking sound, but as i chekced RC there still issues with recording from optical input in Audacity.... i kind of start to suspect that this is Audacity issue
      I am definitely sure, I read several months ago about "creative core" and the expert opinion was that is pile of marketing crap and chip is nothing new and very noisy. Just giving a hint.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by brosis View Post
        I am definitely sure, I read several months ago about "creative core" and the expert opinion was that is pile of marketing crap and chip is nothing new and very noisy. Just giving a hint.
        I buy it because i needed optical input and this was cheapest card that had it, on Windows it works fine and i don't complaining in fact i think it sounds better then my build-in card, but on Linux it obviously sucks as driver is lacking... what is interesting Creative actually working on driver and as i seen on ALSA mailing list they learning how to do drivers, which is actully good thing Optical input recording actually works on ffmpeg or arecord but for some odd reason Audacity don't want to record optical

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
          I buy it because i needed optical input and this was cheapest card that had it, on Windows it works fine and i don't complaining in fact i think it sounds better then my build-in card, but on Linux it obviously sucks as driver is lacking... what is interesting Creative actually working on driver and as i seen on ALSA mailing list they learning how to do drivers, which is actully good thing Optical input recording actually works on ffmpeg or arecord but for some odd reason Audacity don't want to record optical
          I have a Creative Soundblaster Z that sounds very good on Windows, but it has been a mute experience on Linux. I can't get any sound from it. Also it seems that Recon 3d is also non working.

          I've seen that they are making progress regarding CA0132 chip support, but I haven't seen anything regarding supporting the cards itself. I've read posts where people with these chips integrated on motherboards and laptops have sound working.
          Last edited by narciso; 04-28-2013, 01:42 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by narciso View Post
            I have a Creative Soundblaster Z that sounds very good on Windows, but it has been a mute experience on Linux. I can't get any sound from it. Also it seems that Recon 3d is also non working.

            I've seen that they are making progress regarding CA0132 chip support, but I haven't seen anything regarding supporting the cards itself. I've read posts where people with these chips integrated on motherboards and laptops have sound working.
            I got Recon3D and it's working but not in 100% CA0132 is HDA compatible but it works buggy on Linux HDA driver, there HDA patch for CA0132 in kernel which is incomplete

            http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source...patch_ca0132.c

            In general there buffer allocation problem on default configuration, i managed to fix it by unloading intel_hda module and load it with position_fix=1 parameter:

            Code:
            rmmod snd_hda_intel
            modprobe snd_hda_intel position_fix=1
            For some reason setting position_fix=1 on boot time does not work so i made systemd service that runs those 2 commands on start of system.

            Most notable and annoying bug is sometimes it mutes and playing sound from some other software (i think it depends on how application communicates with ALSA) wake it up and makes sound back, this seems to be fixed in 3.8. now i'm having diffrent problem, on system wakening from sleep sound does not work and after reboot it still wont work.... i need to boot Windows make sound back. CA0132 DSP is programmable and has a firmware (which do all those those fancy effects on Windows) that can be loaded, it can work without it as i read firmware is lost once card losing power and needs to be reloaded, but it still works when you boot Linux first, but sometime on wake it losing sound and reloading firmware on Windows seems to fix it

            3.9 (yeah sorry not 3.10 i mistaken XD) includes support for firmware loading, it also add suport for What U Hear (Sound loopback) and digital mic support (i think it's that Crystal Voice mic that is included in more expensive models) and support for all those fancy effects which works under Windows as ALSA mixer controls, i check it out on 3.9 RC but they not working as firmware is still missing in ALSA firmware package. Ton of code been added in to CA0132 patch which i hope also fix buffer problem mentioned above. All of this done by Creative, which is supricing as you can read everywhere that Creative not working on any Linux driver, but on ALSA mailing list i noticed that they are ones that started CA0132 HDA patch to begin with
            Last edited by shadowriver; 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
              I got Recon3D and it's working but not in 100% CA0132 is HDA compatible but it works buggy on Linux HDA driver, there HDA patch for CA0132 in kernel which is incomplete

              http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source...patch_ca0132.c

              In general there buffer allocation problem on default configuration, i managed to fix it by unloading intel_hda module and load it with position_fix=1 parameter:

              Code:
              rmmod snd_hda_intel
              modprobe snd_hda_intel position_fix=1
              For some reason setting position_fix=1 on boot time does not work so i made systemd service that runs those 2 commands on start of system.

              Most notable and annoying bug is sometimes it mutes and playing sound from some other software (i think it depends on how application communicates with ALSA) wake it up and makes sound back, this seems to be fixed in 3.8. now i'm having diffrent problem, on system wakening from sleep sound does not work and after reboot it still wont work.... i need to boot Windows make sound back. CA0132 DSP is programmable and has a firmware (which do all those those fancy effects on Windows) that can be loaded, it can work without it as i read firmware is lost once card losing power and needs to be reloaded, but it still works when you boot Linux first, but sometime on wake it losing sound and reloading firmware on Windows seems to fix it

              3.9 (yeah sorry not 3.10 i mistaken XD) includes support for firmware loading, it also add suport for What U Hear (Sound loopback) and digital mic support (i think it's that Crystal Voice mic that is included in more expensive models) and support for all those fancy effects which works under Windows as ALSA mixer controls, i check it out on 3.9 RC but they not working as firmware is still missing in ALSA firmware package. Ton of code been added in to CA0132 patch which i hope also fix buffer problem mentioned above. All of this done by Creative, which is supricing as you can read everywhere that Creative not working on any Linux driver, but on ALSA mailing list i noticed that they are ones that started CA0132 HDA patch to begin with
              Can you please explain how to add those services to systemd, so I can try that fix?

              Comment

              Working...
              X