HP Launches Their Low-Power Moonshot Servers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    I would like to have one of these in even smaller versions, with one or two of those SoCs, should be a powerful but cheap and energy-efficient home-server and maybe even fanless. Would be a nice improvement to my Atom home-server.
    On the other hand, that would also compete with a bunch of other tiny computers, like the RPi, the faster ARM SoCs, ALIX3 (AMD Geode LX 800MHz, I believe), and even mITX (a 35W TDP dualcore i3 would roundly wipe the floor with any atom, idle around 1W, and manage fine with passive cooling).

A blade + single-chassis solution would probably be really solid and have good fast connectivity, though. Hmm.
    Last edited by dnebdal; 04-10-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
      On the other hand, that would also compete with a bunch of other tiny computers, like the RPi, the faster ARM SoCs, ALIX3 (AMD Geode LX 800MHz, I believe), and even mITX (a 35W TDP dualcore i3 would roundly wipe the floor with any atom, idle around 1W, and manage fine with passive cooling).

A blade + single-chassis solution would probably be really solid and have good fast connectivity, though. Hmm.
      I wouldn't consider the RPi or one of the ALIX boards for a home-server due to the lack of SATA ports (a problem with most of the current SoCs, I would think). An i3 mITX would be fine and of course faster than an Atom, but always to use x86 is a bit boring, I would go for an ARM, a MIPS or maybe even a PowerPC CPU just for the fun of it.

Comment

Working...
      X