Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops

    Phoronix: Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops

    Generating a fair amount of attention today is word that when booting modern versions of Ubuntu -- and other Linux distributions -- on Samsung laptops that utilize UEFI, Linux can actually brick the system. There's now an urgent Linux kernel patch underway...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4ODQ

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops

    Generating a fair amount of attention today is word that when booting modern versions of Ubuntu -- and other Linux distributions -- on Samsung laptops that utilize UEFI, Linux can actually brick the system. There's now an urgent Linux kernel patch underway...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4ODQ
    UEFI the anti-linux technique.

    Did anyone expect anything good ?

    Comment


    • #3
      Correction

      A Samsung linux driver bricks some Samsung laptops. Obviously it has little to do with Linux as a whole.

      Comment


      • #4
        Samsung sure provides the users with an additional freedom to destroy their hardware via software methods if they wish to : http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/201...ur-chromebook/

        Comment


        • #5
          And also this one : http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...3&cid=42737901

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe it is the Samsung laptop that is bad if it can get bricked so easy?

            If software can brick the system, then the system is faulty to begin with.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
              UEFI the anti-linux technique.

              Did anyone expect anything good ?
              Indeed. All the more power for $.

              But some idiots did expect and still do expect. Canonical was/is among them. That's why I find this very sad news and major PR catasthrope still very hilarious.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                UEFI the anti-linux technique.

                Did anyone expect anything good ?
                Stupid engineers is the problem. Not UEFI.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Stupid engineers is the problem. Not UEFI.
                  I'm not so sure about this:

                  http://www.h-online.com/open/news/fo...14372428/read/

                  In such case uefi is worthless and dangersous anti-Linux troublemaker.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Maybe it is the Samsung laptop that is bad if it can get bricked so easy?

                    If software can brick the system, then the system is faulty to begin with.
                    Flashrom can brick just about any board. So most systems fall into your wide-casting net.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      Stupid engineers is the problem. Not UEFI.
                      Agreed - there's not really anything fundamentally wrong (or evil) with UEFI itself, beyond being somewhat over-complex.

                      The problem is that, perhaps as a result of that complexity, it's been badly implemented on a lot of hardware, and also that the manufacturers are only testing it with the software they expect it to run on. And since we're talking about laptop hardware, that software is Windows.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by locovaca View Post
                        Flashrom can brick just about any board. So most systems fall into your wide-casting net.
                        Yes, and so they can be argued to be faulty systems, can they not?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                          Agreed - there's not really anything fundamentally wrong (or evil) with UEFI itself, beyond being somewhat over-complex.

                          The problem is that, perhaps as a result of that complexity, it's been badly implemented on a lot of hardware, and also that the manufacturers are only testing it with the software they expect it to run on. And since we're talking about laptop hardware, that software is Windows.
                          Uhuh, and you are saying there is nothing fundamentally wrong in UEFI? Do you have a serious face?

                          We don't have to even go to mess of not being able to install and run software you want on hardware just because of UEFI. And all that bullshit how "it is possible IF blabla IF blabla IF, and IF You just do this and that and pray" is just bullshit because people should never ever have problems what UEFI delivers.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                            Agreed - there's not really anything fundamentally wrong (or evil) with UEFI itself, beyond being somewhat over-complex.
                            You might count being too complex as being fundamentally wrong though. Even simple stuff like today's BIOS/ACPI gives us soo much headache because it's never ever implemented to spec, and hardly tested.
                            Scale this up to UEFI complexity and you know it's gonna be bad.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had got a black screen on an acer laptop which was quite frustrating but if you press the FN key then the brightness up button, it would show the startup ubuntu desktop. it reads the lowest dim setting as off instead of what it should be. don't know if thats the same for these samsungs but its worth a shot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X