No announcement yet.

Unity Debacle Sets Back Ubuntu On The ARM Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wasnt compiz suspose to have a 2d mode that wouldn't depend on a 3d api?

Comment

Mentality

An education in Slackware would have taught you to ignore the default Window Manager and run a few until you found one you are comfortable with.

Slackware:
      • Ship with all windows managers
      • No desktop branding
      • No boot up branding

Ubuntu:
      • Ships with single window manager
      • Brands desktop
      • Brands boot up

Seriously, Canonical is building war-tribes.

Comment

"...Ubuntu desktop is a mess"

Never expected to read that any day from Michael. Wow.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
          An education in Slackware would have taught you to ignore the default Window Manager and run a few until you found one you are comfortable with.

Slackware:
          • Ship with all windows managers
          • No desktop branding
          • No boot up branding

Ubuntu:
          • Ships with single window manager
          • Brands desktop
          • Brands boot up

Seriously, Canonical is building war-tribes.
          Explain that to someone who only used Windows and decides to try a linux distro and ends up running Ubuntu on his machine, but only God knows how he managed to do that. Think he'll understand? Canonical wants that kind of user base because their numbers are far more greater than technical users.

And for the record, Slackware ships on DVD and Ubuntu on CD. You do the math and decide if it's a fair comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by mtx329 View Post
            Explain that to someone who only used Windows and decides to try a linux distro and ends up running Ubuntu on his machine
            That was me a few years ago. I had no idea what was Gnome, KDE or Fluxbox, but that didn't stop me from trying them. What's your point?

Originally posted by mtx329 View Post
            but only God knows how he managed to do that.
            Running Ubuntu on my machine? No need to ask God, I'll tell you: download ISO, burn to disc, reboot with CD in drive and follow instructions.

Comment

"Debacle"?

The spate of Phoronix articles slamming an Alpha (now only recently Beta) of an upcoming Ubuntu version is getting tiresome. I'm on the verge of cutting Phoronix from my feeds - you have to really search for the gems amongst all the Ubuntu-hate and binary-blob hate.

In the last week : "Ubuntu's Unity is Also Painful for 2D", "AMD Catalyst on Blacklist of Junk", "Ubuntu Unity Proves Very Slow", "Radeon Power Management Still An Incomplete Mes", "2D Also Bad for Ubuntu Unity", and this article "Ubuntu Debacle Sets Back Ubuntu On the ARM Desktop".

Sheesh. Somebody doesn't like Ubuntu (AMD). I get it. I don't need to read essentially the same article every day for a week to see that.

I wouldn't even mind so much, but as I say, it's still 6 weeks away from release, and it's not an LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
                Another example of why I prefer Qt over GTK.
                GTK has nothing to do with that. Unity isn't written using GTK. It?s written in Nux.

Comment

Sam & Daniel Van Vugt are working their asses off optimizing the shit out of Compiz & Unity. I still think all the pieces will come together in time for Ubuntu 12.10. Lots of work has been done, and it will show soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X