Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unity Debacle Sets Back Ubuntu On The ARM Desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unity Debacle Sets Back Ubuntu On The ARM Desktop

    Phoronix: Unity Debacle Sets Back Ubuntu On The ARM Desktop

    With Unity 2D being abandoned and only providing Unity + Compiz in Ubuntu 12.10 as the default desktop, the out-of-the-box experience for low-powered ARM hardware on the stock Ubuntu desktop is a mess...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE4MjI

  • #2
    Unity sucks

    Unity sucks anyways.

    Get gnome-session-fallback (GNOME Classic) session.

    Comment


    • #3
      Another example of why I prefer Qt over GTK. The Unity style launcher can be done and done well with just Qt without the need for Compiz.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
        Another example of why I prefer Qt over GTK. The Unity style launcher can be done and done well with just Qt without the need for Compiz.
        looks like Canonical don't have resources to rewrite Unity (+ they don't even think to abandon compiz)

        Comment


        • #5
          I also thought that Unity on ARM will be just suck. Removing Unity 2d was another big mistake for Canonical. Removing Unity normal but keeping Unity 2d would be a lot better option.

          Comment


          • #6
            Personally it would be far easier if Ubuntu for ARM would either come with XFCE or classic Gnome as opposed to Unity. With all the trouble involved with unity on top of the need for dedicated 3D acceleration just for a basic desktop it's pointless. ARM SoCs have limited resources to begin with and assuming they did have open source and working 3D drivers it would still be a burden on the SoC just to drive a desktop let alone whatever other process you have running or wish to run. Canonical may be making strides in supporting ARM but as for making it a useful desktop just package it without Unity and give the option during install for either classic Gnome or XFCE.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ofen View Post
              looks like Canonical don't have resources to rewrite Unity (+ they don't even think to abandon compiz)
              I don't mind that they don't have resources to maintain both. My point was that if they started with Qt then they wouldn't have needed to maintain both a GTK and Qt version. A Qt version of Unity would do everything that the GTK version can plus work well on systems without acceleration such as some ARM systems.

              Comment


              • #8
                Debacle?

                I guess this is a debacle because users can't just boot the current LTS version and run Unity2D.

                Ohhhhhh... waaaaaaaaait.

                But to be serious, this is Canonical's modus operandi: If you don't put the new stuff out there in each non-LTS version, warts and all, no one will work on putting together those last few components needed to make the entire system better. Remember the first release with Unity? More of the same. Microsoft does the same - they just charge for theirs.

                For the vast majority of us, where Unity3D is running great... this is no issue. For everyone else, it'll get fixed - quick.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Unfortunate

                  Ubuntu is now big enough to start walking on its own but some of the technology underneath is crippling.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The same for Ubuntu on Android I think?
                    Well at least they have another reason now to optimize Unity.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      wasnt compiz suspose to have a 2d mode that wouldn't depend on a 3d api?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Mentality

                        An education in Slackware would have taught you to ignore the default Window Manager and run a few until you found one you are comfortable with.

                        Slackware:
                        • Ship with all windows managers
                        • No desktop branding
                        • No boot up branding

                        Ubuntu:
                        • Ships with single window manager
                        • Brands desktop
                        • Brands boot up


                        Seriously, Canonical is building war-tribes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          "...Ubuntu desktop is a mess"

                          Never expected to read that any day from Michael. Wow.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                            An education in Slackware would have taught you to ignore the default Window Manager and run a few until you found one you are comfortable with.

                            Slackware:
                            • Ship with all windows managers
                            • No desktop branding
                            • No boot up branding

                            Ubuntu:
                            • Ships with single window manager
                            • Brands desktop
                            • Brands boot up


                            Seriously, Canonical is building war-tribes.
                            Explain that to someone who only used Windows and decides to try a linux distro and ends up running Ubuntu on his machine, but only God knows how he managed to do that. Think he'll understand? Canonical wants that kind of user base because their numbers are far more greater than technical users.

                            And for the record, Slackware ships on DVD and Ubuntu on CD. You do the math and decide if it's a fair comparison.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mtx329 View Post
                              Explain that to someone who only used Windows and decides to try a linux distro and ends up running Ubuntu on his machine
                              That was me a few years ago. I had no idea what was Gnome, KDE or Fluxbox, but that didn't stop me from trying them. What's your point?

                              Originally posted by mtx329 View Post
                              but only God knows how he managed to do that.
                              Running Ubuntu on my machine? No need to ask God, I'll tell you: download ISO, burn to disc, reboot with CD in drive and follow instructions.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X