No announcement yet.

Diagnosing & fixing unacceptably slow I/O performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm... would installing this kernel certainly fix the ext4 errors and not break the normal kernel updates Ubuntu does?

I went with 32bit a while ago because of Flash issues - this is a system for a common user, and they didn't need 64bit of practically speaking, 32bit offered the better experience. It's changed since, but the system was just upgraded instead of being reinstalled.

Comment

That kernel is much newer than the ubuntu default. So standard ubuntu kernels will never be default.

Comment

Alright - how would that address the problem however?

(I'd just like to understand what is happening and if this is necessary)

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          Alright - how would that address the problem however?

(I'd just like to understand what is happening and if this is necessary)
          There are ext4 fs errors. Just update the kernel to 3.5 with Kano's script, and see if it helps. The Ubuntu default kernel won't be uninstalled.

Comment

Ah, right. You get to choose which one to load at start. I'll try that then.

Comment

Hm - rebooted, no ext4 dmesg errors yet, however there are dependency issues now. Wireless does work, but:

Code:
              $ sudo apt-get upgrade
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
              The following packages have unmet dependencies:
               crda : Breaks: wireless-crda (< 1.15) but 1.14 is installed
              E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
              $ sudo apt-get -f install
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree       
              Reading state information... Done
              Correcting dependencies... Done
              The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
                bzr-dbus
              Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
              The following extra packages will be installed:
                wireless-crda
              The following packages will be upgraded:
                wireless-crda
              1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 22 not upgraded.
              1 not fully installed or removed.
              Need to get 2,658 B of archives.
              After this operation, 91.1 kB disk space will be freed.
              Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
              Get:1 http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ubuntu/archive/ precise/main wireless-crda i386 1.16 [2,658 B]
              Fetched 2,658 B in 0s (22.7 kB/s)        
              dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of wireless-crda:
               crda (1.1.2-1ubuntu1) breaks wireless-crda (<< 1.15) and is installed.
                Version of wireless-crda to be configured is 1.14.
              dpkg: error processing wireless-crda (--configure):
               dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
              No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                                                                                                        Errors were encountered while processing:
               wireless-crda
              E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comment

That script didn't help and it made quite a mess that was difficult to solve, to put it politely. I've worked it out with some surgical use of dpkg --force-depends --purge - back to where I've started now. Maybe I'll try a realtime kernel, that should have less of an effect on the system due to IO waiting.

Comment

Usually wireless-crda does not install when crda is already installed. in newer systems this is just a meta package and can be safely removed. I just dl an older version that is NOT a meta package as it is a depend. I dont get why this should be so problematic.

Comment

Hm, well - http://pastebin.com/iWeXvDu0, http://pastebin.com/J77uyYpf - it wasn't working out. I don't understand the system well enough to know why.

Comment

Could you run lspci and post the output?

Comment

Yeah, certainly - here it is:

Code:
                        00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 12)
                        00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12)
                        00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
                        00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
                        00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
                        00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
                        00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 05)
                        00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
                        00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
                        00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
                        00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
                        00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
                        00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 05)
                        02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
                        04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
                        ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
                        ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
                        ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
                        ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
                        ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
                        ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)

Comment

I thought it might have been a faulty SATA-600 port which is a bug in early Intel 6 Series chipsets, but you have a 5 Series chipset.

Comment

@Vadi

did apt-get install -f not fix the issue?

Comment

Ah. Pity it's not a hardware issue, could have gotten that fixed by the manufacturer.

The apt-get install -f wasn't fixing it - it was happy but then it'd spit some errors out. I've got it worked in the end with dpkg force remove, ignoring dependencies I uninstalled the wireless and kernel, and installed wireless back - that's OK now.

Comment

The kernel would work you can modifiy the script not to dl wireless-crda. It is a very short script. In debian wheezy is crda preinstalled, as the dpkg -i used in the script is without override you usually only get a warning but not more, the u kernels however only install on 32 bit systems correctly because of too new libc6 for the 64 bit kernels. maybe your system had wireless-cdra as meta package installed not just cdra, could be a possible cause for the error.
                                Last edited by Kano; 07-15-2012, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X