Calxeda Shows Off 192-Core ARM Ubuntu Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    4. Form factor: In case you didn't catch the article, it uses a 2U server chassis. Holy crap that's big -- at least compared to a desktop. Most of the space within a typical desktop case is occupied by a large 5.25" DVD drive, a large power supply, many large hard drives, a large graphics card, and a little bitty tiny CPU on a tiny motherboard in the back of the case. The 48, 64, 96 core servers are almost solid silicon with CPUs; they don't have these big bulky components. The power supply in those cases is surprisingly small considering how much power it draws. Miniaturization is expensive, and people aren't going to want to carry around an 80 pound laptop or have a desktop with a motherboard as big as one in a 2U (this increases the height and depth of the case and requires at least as much depth as a full ATX, if you use a desktop shaped chassis).
    Just a point of correction, a 2U server chassis is pretty small, only 3.5 inches high. A normal full atx desktop case is the equivalent of a 4U rackmount as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      You absolutely can, see the TrimSlice for example.
      What do you want to install on it? AFAIK, you need a lot of binary blobs from nvidia to get anything running on their hardware as one of the most open source unfriendly companies?

Or you use some preinstalled system...

Comment

He asked about ARM desktops. TrimSlice is available fairly cheap and comes with Ubuntu preinstalled.

Of course given the freedom angle, I wouldn't use it either, but he didn't specify they had to be full-FOSS.

Comment

i didn't ask specifically for arm. the question was mostly about multicore low power cpus. tilera is a better example i think for what i had in mind.

sorry for the misconception.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
            no pics, no proof.
            you could just google Calxeda, rather than asserting that there is no proof, just because Michael didn't include a picture. :\

here, let me do that for you;

http://armservers.com/ (scroll down the page, for articles + pictures)

and verification via a picture that indeed, it does exist;

Still think there is no proof?? ....and by the way, i can't see gravity and yet gravity still exists.

i love your flawed logic, though. lol.

cheerz

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
              Just a point of correction, a 2U server chassis is pretty small, only 3.5 inches high. A normal full atx desktop case is the equivalent of a 4U rackmount as I recall.
              That would be correct. I wanted to buy a 2U rack, but unfortunately a 2U rack can't fit standard sized PCI cards. 3U is the lowest profile that you can go, if you still want to be able to fit PCI cards without using an adapter (to allow to put your pci-card to sit horizontally, but then of course, you probably won't be able to use more than 1 pci slot). Knowing this stuff, i ended up buying a 3U rack to save myself hassles, and i am using most of my PCI slots ~ GFX card, Soundcard, USB 2.0 + firewire card...

The good news is, if you can believe this ~ i've dropped my Rack/PC down a flight of stairs - with ZERO damage awesomeness...lol

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                That would be correct. I wanted to buy a 2U rack, but unfortunately a 2U rack can't fit standard sized PCI cards. 3U is the lowest profile that you can go, if you still want to be able to fit PCI cards without using an adapter (to allow to put your pci-card to sit horizontally, but then of course, you probably won't be able to use more than 1 pci slot). Knowing this stuff, i ended up buying a 3U rack to save myself hassles, and i am using most of my PCI slots ~ GFX card, Soundcard, USB 2.0 + firewire card...
                Actually, this is quite incorrect. You can get things down to a 1U rack with standard sized PCI/PCI-E cards. There's this nifty little passive part called a "riser" that is used in 2U and 1U configurations ALL THE TIME. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Actually, this is quite incorrect. You can get things down to a 1U rack with standard sized PCI/PCI-E cards. There's this nifty little passive part called a "riser" that is used in 2U and 1U configurations ALL THE TIME. :-D
                  No, it's not incorrect. Did you not even read what i wrote?!! (seriously?)

3U racks are the lowest profile you can go without using an 'adapter' (aka riser), which puts your pci cards horizontally, which AFAIK is exactly what i wrote. plus, my GFX card didn't fit in it nicely with other cards too (and other concerns).

I have one sitting on my shelf (right beside me), i said 'adapter' only because i had forgotten what it was called. Using a 2U rack with it, wasn't the best option for me - i had some space (dead space) and concerns over the potential for overheating.

anyways, that for pointing out what i already wrote - but using the correct term (riser).

cheerz
                  Last edited by ninez; 08 May 2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X