Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware recomendation for Linux HTPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Of course it can. H.264 VA-API decode acceleration works for all Core i3/i5/i7 integrated graphics (GMA HD/2000/3000).
    But good luck getting the GPU to work in the first place; I tried Ubuntu 11.04 on my new i5-2400 system and the live CD locks up with garbage on the screen and 10.04 works but it appears to be just a VESA driver.

    Fortunately it's a server so I don't care, but SB graphics seems poorly supported right now. Maybe Fedora has newer drivers.

    Comment


    • #12
      Yep, you need more recent packages from xorg-edgers PPA. Fedora 15 might work, too.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by LinuxWarrior View Post
        Right now I'm more inclined to buy an Intel system... due acceleration support and opensource drivers. The Core i3 2100T with 35W of TPD looks good...

        In the past all my Desktop CPU's were AMD, but due the lack of proper opensource support I'm kinda forced to buy an Intel CPU with integrated graphics, and an Atom don't seems a good investment if I want to run some services on the same machine...
        And I just gave you a way to do a superior AMD system with all/only open source drivers.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          And I just gave you a way to do a superior AMD system with all/only open source drivers.
          True... But to buy an AMD system I need to buy an AMD card, and as far as I know the drivers for current models are still behind Intel.... (not to mention video decoding)

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by LinuxWarrior View Post
            True... But to buy an AMD system I need to buy an AMD card, and as far as I know the drivers for current models are still behind Intel.... (not to mention video decoding)
            That is up for debate. Intel may be further ahead in some areas (behind in others), but first off, their hardware is so much less impressive that it doesn't take as much, second, AMD drivers seem to work like magic. I don't trust intel at all, they've burned a lot of people in the past (myself included).

            Now what is this "card" you speak of? HTPC should be IGP, and its doubtful that you would actually be able to come up with a configuration that includes mini-itx with space for a graphics card...

            Take a look at these boards;
            http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard...e=NF81-T56N-LF
            http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard...e=NC85-E350-LF

            Either of those would make a beautiful HTPC.
            Last edited by droidhacker; 07-13-2011, 09:17 AM.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              That is up for debate. Intel may be further ahead in some areas (behind in others), but first off, their hardware is so much less impressive that it doesn't take as much, second, AMD drivers seem to work like magic.


              Yeah, right... you can count on the Houdini act when it comes to drivers in Linux.

              Maybe when they start working on features and avoiding the issues ppl keep complaining about (tearing and no hardware acceleration), then the magic will be there.

              I don't see how ATI cards are a good choice for a HTPC when so many features are missing that have to do with video (output).

              Comment


              • #17
                I will wail a few more days...

                http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...dows_sna&num=3

                In a few days on Phoronix are more Intel Sandy Bridge benchmarks (from a Core i5 2500K) using the latest Linux Git code and comparing it to the Nouveau (NVIDIA) and Radeon (ATI/AMD) open-source drivers with a few different graphics cards.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Panix View Post


                  Yeah, right... you can count on the Houdini act when it comes to drivers in Linux.

                  Maybe when they start working on features and avoiding the issues ppl keep complaining about (tearing and no hardware acceleration), then the magic will be there.

                  I don't see how ATI cards are a good choice for a HTPC when so many features are missing that have to do with video (output).
                  Huh? Where from you come up with this total crap nonsense? AMD drivers (ati has ceased to exist, look it up) *JUST WORK*. No crapshoot. Unlike drivers for ALL other GPUs.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    Huh? Where from you come up with this total crap nonsense? AMD drivers (ati has ceased to exist, look it up) *JUST WORK*. No crapshoot. Unlike drivers for ALL other GPUs.
                    What drivers are you talking about? Opensource or their closed source?

                    *JUST WORK* sometimes is not enough...

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by LinuxWarrior View Post
                      What drivers are you talking about? Opensource or their closed source?

                      *JUST WORK* sometimes is not enough...
                      Unlike some people, I actually do read the threads I reply to. In your first post, you stated very specifically "Graphics card with OSS drivers". Guess what that means? Yep, Radeon OSS.

                      And FYI: "Just work" doesn't mean *ONLY work and nothing more*, it means that they ACTUALLY WORK and do everything you need of them... with no bull involved. As simple as "insert install disk for distro of your choice, follow instructions, WOW, it ACTUALLY DOES WORK and WORKS GREAT!!!". My HTPC is a 785/HD4200 with a ***SEMPRON 140***, and it leaves nothing to want. The crystalhd decoder along with an otherwise BONE STOCK Fedora install with a few media players, and it is a *perfect* HTPC, which is perfectly happy to playback BD-BITRATE HD1080P H264 videos, i.e. BD RIPs. No tearing, no stuttering, no weird messing with settings, IT JUST WORKS.

                      I'm speaking from experience here. Why does everyone have to bring in their ancient misconceptions about ATI hardware from way back when they still existed?


                      BTW: *JUST WORK* means that it MOST DEFINITELY IS enough. If it WASN'T enough, it could NOT be classified as "working".
                      Last edited by droidhacker; 07-15-2011, 09:58 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X