Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer / Linux Compatibility ?

Hi,

Could you give me your opinion about this configuration for a new computer ? Would it be all right (mobo's concerns) ? Does anybody have any experience with this Asus mobo ?

Asus P5N-E SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
    G.Skill kit extreme2 2x 1Go PC 6400 PK
    Seagated Barracuda 7200.10 SATA - 80Go - 8Mo x 3 (RAID 5)
    Antec Sonata II
    Asus EN7600GS SILENT/HTD 256Mo
    Acer AL2216W sD

Thanks,

I've used motherboards similar to the P5N-E SLI. It should work fine. The rest of the hardware looks good as well.

Welcome to the forums.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks Michael,

I was asking myself about the mobo...
      I've read here :
      http://www.phoronix.com/lch/?k=entry...=Asus%20P5NSLI

and there :
      http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...ighlight-.html

There seems to have some issue with ACPI / APIC thus SMP function of this motherboard. Don't know the final words on this. Does anybody have more information about SMP working on this mobo ?

Regards,

Comment

I can try out a similar board with Ubuntu 7.04 and Fedora 7 to see how it works -- it shouldn't be too problematic.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

He Michael,

If I could "try before buy", I'd do ASAP ;-)
          We're a brandly new created french association to promote "Open Source Software" in SME's environment... Though, money and good investment are crucial for us ;-).

I daren't ask you to test this mobo but more, How can you propose things like that ? Are you a vendor or do you have thousands of mobos sleeping behind your wardrobe :-) ?

Regards,

Comment

thinapps,

I am the founder and executive editor of Phoronix. One of the (many) benefits is that I have access to a great deal of hardware -- while I don't have hundreds of boards on hand right now as the older motherboards have since been retired, there are quite a bit.

I talked with ASUS earlier and they are sending out a Asus P5N-E SLI to Phoronix right away. Hopefully I'll have the board by the end of this week.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              thinapps,

I am the founder and executive editor of Phoronix. One of the (many) benefits is that I have access to a great deal of hardware -- while I don't have hundreds of boards on hand right now as the older motherboards have since been retired, there are quite a bit.

I talked with ASUS earlier and they are sending out a Asus P5N-E SLI to Phoronix right away. Hopefully I'll have the board by the end of this week.
              Alleluhia !! :-)
              You know, that's really the "Internet" surrealism. Look, I turned around with my associate to find out WHICH mobo could be right for us (web development + pvm multi thread development). And I posted here (thanks to Ubuntu's forum advices on hardware compatibility) to know if my idea was right or not...
              I find THE person with one of the (MANY ;-)) benefits is that to have the ability to test my idea. Well, What else to prove Internet is really a new kind of Society.
              If you can test this motherboard with ubuntu 7.04 (note release is for tomorrow :-) ) I'll be glad to create a new wiki page + HCL (Harwre compatibility page) for it.

Regards,

Pierre

Comment

I hope to test it with Feisty Fawn this weekend. The new Phoronix site is premiering Friday so I will be busy with that, but hope to have the time to quickly try it out over the weekend.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Thanks Michael,

We'll wait a few days before buy till you can test it out with brand new Ubuntu 7.04.
                  'The new Phoronix site is premiering' and 'Ubuntu 7.04 will be released tomorrow', take it easy to try it out. We'll wait for your review. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Pierre

Comment

Yeah, and see if the intel hda audio driver works with the latest and greatest ALSA driver, pls. The default alsa in Debian doesn't work; had to use alsa-source from Lenny.

Comment

The ASUS board you mentioned is here I hope to test it out with Feisty final tomorrow.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this Michael, I would probably buy with less fear :-) next week (or not, we'll see).

Regards,

Pierre

Comment

I just purchased this board to replace a motherboard. I have been pretty pleased with it thus far.

There was a question about the intel-hda audio. I run Debian unstable, and version 1.0.13-5 of alsa-base is working just fine for me. I didn't try to test it prior to upgrading to unstable.

I have had a couple of minor problems, that I have not been able to determine if it is problems with the motherboard or drivers. My current issues are,

1) the secondary IDE is having DMA timeouts, I have a DVD+/-RW(master) and a CD-RW (slave) on this channel. Both show the same symptoms. However, I have 2 other HDDs on the primary IDE channel and they are not having issues. (Note: I tried an intel 965 board prior to the Asus P5N-E SLI and it was showing the same problems. So I am still trying to ascertain if it is my problem or not)

2) hwclock scripts seem to want the option --forceisa to work correctly. I am getting select timeouts with hwclock --show

3) The IEEE 1394 port was detected as ethernet over firewire, but seems to not be configured correctly.

Things that worked right out of the box.

1) The SATA drives are happy and working just great.

2) I put a Nvidia 7300 GT in it, and it is working without problems with the latest binary blob from NVIDIA.

3) The forcedeth driver got my network port up and running with out problems.

4) I killed my floppy drive while upgrading the motherboard (note to self, don't place drive on edge of desk while working). I wanted to try the newer bios from ASUS to see if any of my above problems changed, but most bios upgrade guides assume you have a floppy drive. However, I was able to format an old 256MB flash stick, make it bootable and installed freedos so that I could upgrade the BIOS. The EZ Flash program in the BIOS could see my flash stick and read it, but when I tried to load the BIOS it whined that I was downgrading and wouldn't let me.

Still looking forward to the official review though, I may learn a thing or two.

Comment

Just a follow up from my last post.

I determined that the DMA timeouts on my CD/DVD drives were being caused by the IDE connector on the mother board. Over the last couple of nights I have pulled both drives out and tried them in a couple of other machines, and they worked like a charm. So I finally concluded that my cable was bad. The ASUS P5N-E SLI board has its PATA connector mounted at 90 degrees to the motherboard. After removing my hard drive cage, I noticed that one of the pins on the connector was bent out funny. I pulled the cable and could see that the pin had been shoved backward and was not connecting at all. So a pair of pliers to squeeze it back into place did the trick. Now my drives are working just fine.

Outstanding issues:

1) The firewire port is still giving me grief. so I disabled it. (I really don't have any pressing need to use it right now). Now that the drives are working, I will look at it.

2) The RTC chip still times out on a select(). Using --directisa seems to make it work.

Both of these are minor issues in my book. So now that I have it up and running. Does anyone else have any questions?

Still looking forward to the review.

Comment

The P5N-E SLI is a TERRIFIC board. You can expect the review in early May, and the testing process isn't yet fully completed but right now if nothing else comes up, it will receive the Phoronix seal of approval.
                              Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                              X