Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pogoplug: An Interesting, Linux-Friendly NAS

Phoronix: Pogoplug: An Interesting, Linux-Friendly NAS

While more and more computer peripherals and gadgets these days are running Linux internally, not many vendors are matching their internal Linux support with external Linux customer support. For the Pogoplug though, which is made by CloudEngines, this is not the case. The Pogoplug is a network attached storage device that is far more than a basic NAS like the Icy Box NAS4220, but the Pogoplug can integrate with social networks like Twitter along with providing a rich web 2.0 interface for accessing the device from anywhere in the world. The Pogoplug device runs Linux and is built upon popular open-source packages, but Pogoplug does not hide this fact and they actually encourage community developers to work on the Pogoplug with complete support for SSH-ing into these devices and making modifications. CloudEngines also offers a 32-bit/64-bit Linux program for interacting with the Pogoplug.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad it ain't available over here (Netherlands).

Comment

Ah, revelations

Using the iPhone client also worked out well.

Comment

This looks like a really great little machine to keep your torrents running on...

Comment

get a sheevaplug instead - smaller and cheaper (http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com). i currently use one for dns-server usage. Ive also ordered a guruplug with even more goodies: esata 2 nics etc. Should arrive before the month is over.

Comment

What about performance data?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              What about performance data?
              Should be able to get PTS on there, right?

Comment

Great article on Cloudcomputing product however

Great article on Cloud-computing product. I am surprised that other products that do the same thing was not covered such as Tonido and the Seagate Dockstar. Personally I have both products that I mentioned above.
                I love the Tonido. It is not only less expensive with the same functions as Pogoplug but it has a great community,better hardware specs and better interface with more software functions.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

compare across the board, like for like (pls)

Originally posted by navbrat View Post
                  I am surprised that other products that do the same thing was not covered such as Tonido and the Seagate Dockstar. Personally I have both products that I mentioned above.
                  IAWTC
                  I'm interested in this whole category. In particular the article talked up the ability to tailor/customize the pogoplug to a particular need but it still sounds limited in comparison to Sheeva family, which iirc is a copmlete debian-based system.

For example, could I use this device as a SAN target?

Comment

Working...
                  X