Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ati/NVIDIA amd/intel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ati/NVIDIA amd/intel?

    Hello!

    I'm new in those forums, so if this post doesn't belong here let me know and I'll post it were it belongs.

    I wan't to build a new computer from scratch, and one of it's mainly purposes will be gaming, and I'm very lost looking the best linux compatible hardware.

    The most simple questions, ati or nvidia? intel or amd?

    I guess, but it's just a supposition that the best option will be nvidia for the graphic card, but what about motherboard?

    Thank you very much

    PD. Sorry my bad english

  • #2
    Originally posted by Serjor View Post
    Hello!

    I'm new in those forums, so if this post doesn't belong here let me know and I'll post it were it belongs.

    I wan't to build a new computer from scratch, and one of it's mainly purposes will be gaming, and I'm very lost looking the best linux compatible hardware.

    The most simple questions, ati or nvidia? intel or amd?

    I guess, but it's just a supposition that the best option will be nvidia for the graphic card, but what about motherboard?

    Thank you very much

    PD. Sorry my bad english
    I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff compared to some people here but I think the first thing you have to do is identify your budget. Imho, if it's really low, go with an AMD chipset machine and it will have an ATI integrated graphics card but you can always add a separate video card. If the budget is mid-range or higher, go Intel. I would really try to build an Intel system right now since, for e.g., an i5 system can be build for good price/performance.

    Onboard audio will likely be Realtek or VIA. Onboard LAN will likely be Realtek (again) or Atheros. Most of it works OOTB but cheap cards can be bought that can solve any problems. As for nvidia v.s. ati for a dedicated video card? That debate rages on and I'm not going to recommend one or the other.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for your reply.

      Budget is not a problem (actually it always is a problem), so ok, Intel, i5 or i7 (from a point of view based on linux compatibility)?

      ATI... NVIDIA... the eternal question...

      Comment


      • #4
        The cpu itself does not really matter - maybe for turbo mode of the latest intel cpus you might need a current kernel, same for the onboard (w)lan chips. Basically there are no incompatible current x86 cpus. Even the hd controller is still similar to old ones and is no problem to use with default ahci driver - even with older kernels. So you have got the free choice - for gfx card go for nv if you want to have got better (binary) Linux drivers. Even if you would try a completely new system, the max you may need to use is a supported nic to get online with an older kernel.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Serjor View Post
          ... and one of it's mainly purposes will be gaming, and I'm very lost looking the best linux compatible hardware.

          The most simple questions, ati or nvidia? intel or amd?
          ...

          If you wanna play newer games you will need a dedicated graphic card probably (chipset graphic or graphic units on certain Intel CPUs are too bad for newer games).
          Here and Here is my opinion about NVIDIA vs. ATI.

          In my opinion AMD CPUs a much more favorable than Intel CPUs. I have a Phenom X2 545 and I'm happy with it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Because your cpus needs more power and is slower, right? Maybe a few bucks cheaper when you buy it...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Because your cpus needs more power and is slower, right? Maybe a few bucks cheaper when you buy it...
              For the same price you get a much faster AMD CPU than a Intel CPU. If you compare CPUs with almost same power consumption the Intel CPU costs maybe about 30% more money and is maybe about 15% faster. Thats the reason why I think AMD CPUs are more favourable.

              Comment


              • #8
                Not in the 100-150 € cpu price segment - maybe 20-30 € more initial invest but more speed and less power usage (most likely better oc) for the rest of the cpu life circle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Not in the 100-150 € cpu price segment - maybe 20-30 € more initial invest but more speed and less power usage (most likely better oc) for the rest of the cpu life circle.
                  AMD Phenom 2 945 (quad core, 3GHz) sells for 135€. The cheapest i5 sells for 155€ (i5-650, dual core, 3GHz). The cheapest i5 quad core (i5-750, 2.66GHz) sells for 170€. The Phenom is a better all-around processor than the 650, but it's slower than the 750 - but not 35€ slower. Frankly, Intel sucks from a value proposition until you reach the high end. Better put your money into a better video card!

                  AMD has better GPUs than Nvidia right now, but Nvidia has an edge on Linux drivers. If you dual boot to Windows for gaming, AMD is probably better. For pure Linux, you'll likely have better luck with a Nvidia GPU. Your pick!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A bit off topic but has anybody been able to find the errata or white papers on the AMD SB850 chipset yet?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X